Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM
"John J. Boyer"

Default HOW do I get Java 1.7 64-bit?

What should I specify in the yum install command? I have CentOS 5.8,
fully updated, but it still has Java 1.6.

Thanks,
John

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA

Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Nux!

On 19.07.2012 07:25, John J. Boyer wrote:
> What should I specify in the yum install command? I have CentOS 5.8,
> fully updated, but it still has Java 1.6.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Hello John,

That's because this is the current stable version supported by RedHat
in its enterprise offerings. Not sure when OpenJDK 1.7 will land, if at
all. Fedora 17 has 1.7 already.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Heng Su

Just download a jdk 1.7 from Oracle site. just extract it and config the
PATH is OK.
Why you want use yum install?

Regards.
Su Heng

Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 19.07.2012 10:41, schrieb Heng Su:
> Just download a jdk 1.7 from Oracle site. just extract it and config the
> PATH is OK.
> Why you want use yum install?
>
> Regards.
> Su Heng

Generally speaking, using software coming from a repository configured
in yum makes it a lot easier to maintain the system and keep the
packages up to date.

It is a bad habbit, especially in an enterprise environment, to deploy
software to machines in a fashion where you hardly have an overview
which software version is being installed and without a proven method to
keep the systems updated with new versions for fixing bugs and security
issues.

Alexander

Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
"John J. Boyer"

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50:02AM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Generally speaking, using software coming from a repository configured
> in yum makes it a lot easier to maintain the system and keep the
> packages up to date.
>
> It is a bad habbit, especially in an enterprise environment, to deploy
> software to machines in a fashion where you hardly have an overview
> which software version is being installed and without a proven method to
> keep the systems updated with new versions for fixing bugs and security
> issues.

Yes. However, my BrailleBlaster project may require Java 1.7. I suppose
I can obtain it from Openjdk and install it manually. I should probably
uninstall Java 1.6 first. After I install Java 1.7, will subsequent use
of yuum update mess up that installation?

Thanks,
John

> Alexander

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA

Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
James Hogarth

> Yes. However, my BrailleBlaster project may require Java 1.7. I suppose
> I can obtain it from Openjdk and install it manually. I should probably
> uninstall Java 1.6 first. After I install Java 1.7, will subsequent use
> of yuum update mess up that installation?

You have a few of choices here...

CentOS 6.3 includes openJDK 1.7 as a tech preview (and as such it will
get security updates etc) so that TUV's customers can test against
Java7....

Fedora 17 includes openJDK 1.7 as a 'supported' package (and indeed
does not even have 1.6 in the repositories)...

Install the Oracle Java package from Oracle's site and set JAVA_HOME
etc etc appropriately to use it.... you may need to set up
alternatives to make sure the Oracle Java takes preference if you
install a package that results in a dependancy chain that pulls in
openJDK.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 07/19/2012 06:54 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
>> Yes. However, my BrailleBlaster project may require Java 1.7. I suppose
>> I can obtain it from Openjdk and install it manually. I should probably
>> uninstall Java 1.6 first. After I install Java 1.7, will subsequent use
>> of yuum update mess up that installation?
> You have a few of choices here...
>
> CentOS 6.3 includes openJDK 1.7 as a tech preview (and as such it will
> get security updates etc) so that TUV's customers can test against
> Java7....

Actually it is now fully supported and not a preview ... they messed up
and then fixed the announcement:

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2012-0981.html

> Fedora 17 includes openJDK 1.7 as a 'supported' package (and indeed
> does not even have 1.6 in the repositories)...
>
> Install the Oracle Java package from Oracle's site and set JAVA_HOME
> etc etc appropriately to use it.... you may need to set up
> alternatives to make sure the Oracle Java takes preference if you
> install a package that results in a dependancy chain that pulls in
> openJDK.

This will get you java-1.7.0-openjdk on CentOS-6.3:

yum install java-1.7.0-openjdk