Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Fernando Cassia

Default Oracle UEK kernel on CentOS

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> mark "and I wouldn't support Larry Ellison if I have any options"

Yeah, sticking it to the company that's developing and supporting open
source GPL Java sounds sensible...
*sarcasm*

FC

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Chris <xchris89x@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Does the Oracle UEK kernel really perform better than the default centos kernel?
> Technical advantages and disadvantages?

This answers some of your questions
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/uek-rel2-getting-started-1555632.html

---
About the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for Oracle Linux

Oracle Linux with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel is Oracle's fully
supported, tested, and certified Linux operating system for the
enterprise. Oracle Linux is free to download, use, and distribute, and
it is optimized to run Oracle hardware, databases, and middleware. You
can obtain ISO images of the installation media from the Oracle
Software Delivery Cloud without charge (requires registration).

The Oracle Linux base distribution is 100% userspace-compatible with
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). However, the Unbreakable Enterprise
Kernel is released on an independent schedule and is always based on a
recent version of the mainline Linux kernel. As a result, it delivers
the latest innovations from mainline Linux, combined with tested
performance and stability. It is installed and booted by default;
major updates of the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel are usually
published every 12 to 18 months.
---

However, I'd suggest that if you want to use Oracle' s kernel, you use
Oracle' s Linux distro, which you can also download for free.

Why come here and speak about mixing CentOS with Oracle kernel?. The
answers will surely be mostly negative (like going to a Fedora mailing
list and asking about using an Ubuntu kernel, or vice-versa). Do you
expect the answers to be otherwise?. Seems like trolling to me.

FC

- George Orwell

Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 06:45:35PM -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> >
> > mark "and I wouldn't support Larry Ellison if I have any options"
>
> Yeah, sticking it to the company that's developing and supporting open
> source GPL Java sounds sensible...

This isn't the scientific linux users list and this type of thing isn't
going to go over any better here than it did there. Oracle has a
well-earned bad reputation for their business practices in their
treatment of Redhat and their customers and people in this industry have
a long memory. You like Oracle and appear to be a staunch supporter,
that's fine. Just please don't expect the vast majority of subscribers
to this list to feel the same.

John
--
The ability to focus attention on important things is a defining
characteristic of intelligence.

-- Robert J. Shiller (1946-), American economist, academic, and author,
Irrational Exuberance (2006)

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Chris

2012/7/18 <m.roth@5-cent.us>:
> Do you understand what OUL is, a modified version of RHEL? And no, I have
> grave doubts you could use that kernel with the standard repositories for
> CentOS: I'd give you a 95% confidence that trying to update most things
> would give you tons of unsatisfied dependencies.

It is very easy without any dependencies to install.

You need only:

[ol6_UEK_latest]
name=Latest Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for Oracle Linux $releasever
($basearch)
baseurl=http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/UEK/latest/$basearch/
gpgkey=http://public-yum.oracle.com/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle-ol6
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

--
Chris

Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Chris

2012/7/18 John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 06:45:35PM -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> >
>> > mark "and I wouldn't support Larry Ellison if I have any options"
>>
>> Yeah, sticking it to the company that's developing and supporting open
>> source GPL Java sounds sensible...
>
> This isn't the scientific linux users list and this type of thing isn't
> going to go over any better here than it did there. Oracle has a
> well-earned bad reputation for their business practices in their
> treatment of Redhat and their customers and people in this industry have
> a long memory. You like Oracle and appear to be a staunch supporter,
> that's fine. Just please don't expect the vast majority of subscribers
> to this list to feel the same.

I think they did a great job with btrfs and Oracle Linux for free.

--
Chris

Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:03:47AM +0200, Chris wrote:

> I think they did a great job with btrfs and Oracle Linux for free.

Uh-huh.

OEL for "free" is a calculated move to poach yet more users from Redhat,
and in this specific instance, also _directly_ targeted at CentOS users.

btrfs on its own doesn't make up for a fraction of the ill-will they've
garnered in stealing users from Redhat by purposely undercutting Redhat
support costs.

Not only biting that hand that feeds you but tearing it off and then
beating you with it doesn't earn much good will.

Perhaps if they were actually putting out their _own_ distribution
instead of leeching off Redhat's work and then _making money off of it_
it perchance might be a different story.

John
--
"Since every individual is accountable ultimately to the self, the formation
of that self demands our utmost care and attention."

-- A Bene Gesserit teaching spoken by Miles Teg in "Chapterhouse: Dune"
by Frank Herbert

Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Chris

2012/7/18 Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com>:

> Why come here and speak about mixing CentOS with Oracle kernel?. The
> answers will surely be mostly negative (like going to a Fedora mailing
> list and asking about using an Ubuntu kernel, or vice-versa). Do you
> expect the answers to be otherwise?. Seems like trolling to me.

No, it's not trolling!

I'm really interested in the technical differences and advantages.

--
Chris

Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:

> Perhaps if they were actually putting out their _own_ distribution
> instead of leeching off Redhat's work and then _making money off of it_
> it perchance might be a different story.

It's called "free market competition".
It brings down costs for the consumer.

Sun took Novell's SuSE Enterprise Desktop for its short-lived Java
Desktop System (JDS) Linux.

As long as they comply with the GPL rules, it's all fair game.

FC

Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Patrick Lists

On 19-07-12 00:34, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps if they were actually putting out their _own_ distribution
>> instead of leeching off Redhat's work and then _making money off of it_
>> it perchance might be a different story.
>
> It's called "free market competition".

No it's not. It's called leeching.

> It brings down costs for the consumer.

Thanks for a good laugh. The only thing that will happen when companies
switch from RHEL to Oracle's EOL is that they will get up-sold like
there's no tomorrow and Larry & minions will take them for every penny &
first born they got.

> Sun took Novell's SuSE Enterprise Desktop for its short-lived Java
> Desktop System (JDS) Linux.

Iirc there was a commercial arrangement. You know the free market kind
where money is paid for goods and services as in the opposite from leeching.

> As long as they comply with the GPL rules, it's all fair game.

Larry is that you?

Regards,
Patrick

Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Patrick Lists
<centos-list@puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Larry is that you?

ROFL... I use Fedora on desktops. Used Sun JDS before, and SuSE before
that. Caldera Openlinux 12 years ago. IBM OS/2 before that.

Today, one of my servers run CentOS. But when I plan to start some
commercial services on another server, I plan to purchase an Oracle
subscription plan because it´s one third of the RedHat price. Money
doesn´t grow on trees for me.

If ORCL gives me support and an optimized kernel, then fair game. Who
am I to complain?.

Oracle employees, on Evil Larry´s payroll, also contribute to the
Linux kernel and other linux areas as Gnome and drivers.

http://oss.oracle.com/

A simple google search shows ORCL employees on the Gnome mailing lists only:

http://goo.gl/Jv1kb

On the first screen
Dermot McCluskey (dermot.mccluskey@or*cle.com)
Calum Benson <calum.benson@or*cle.com>
Jeff Cai (jeff.cai@or*cle.com)
Li Yuan (lee.yuan@or*cle com)
Emily Chen yang.chen@or*cle.com
Brian Cameron <brian.cameron@or*cle.com>
Mike Oliver <mike.oliver@or*cle com>

That sounds to me like contributing, not only "leeching".

But hey, I guess the facts stopped being important long ago, and what
matters these days are perceptions and feelings, so it´s cool to "hate
evil Larry". Must be why he did the revolutionary (and ahead of its
time) low cost "ThinkNIC" computer for educational markets based on
Linux and Netscape, 12 years ago.

And I´ll say it again: I run multiple OSs including Fedora, yet while
I support Oracle´s open source projects, I´m not particularly
interested in any of the firms´ non-free or propietary products geared
towards -and priced for- the Fortune 500...

There´s room for everyone in the market... RHEL, CentOS and Oracle Linux...
FC