Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Default LibreOffice does not start

Hi,

I just upgraded to C-6.3. Since the upgrade when I try to start LibreOffice
I get the following error: "The application cannot be started. A general
error occurred while accessing your central configuration."

I tried running it from both the command line and the application menu.

If I run it as root it starts up normally.

Google says a lot of people are having the problem but there do not seem to
be any useful solutions.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Tom me@tdiehl.org Spamtrap address me123@tdiehl.org

Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM

me@tdiehl.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to C-6.3. Since the upgrade when I try to start
> LibreOffice
> I get the following error: "The application cannot be started. A general
> error occurred while accessing your central configuration."
>
> I tried running it from both the command line and the application menu.
>
> If I run it as root it starts up normally.
<snip>
Haven't run into that problem. I just updated my own system Friday, and
rebooted it yesterday. LO doesn't seem to always start when I log in, but
no other problems.

>From what you say, it sounds like a) permissions, b) ownership, c) selinux.

mark

Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> me@tdiehl.org wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just upgraded to C-6.3. Since the upgrade when I try to start
>> LibreOffice
>> I get the following error: "The application cannot be started. A general
>> error occurred while accessing your central configuration."
>>
>> I tried running it from both the command line and the application menu.
>>
>> If I run it as root it starts up normally.
> <snip>
> Haven't run into that problem. I just updated my own system Friday, and
> rebooted it yesterday. LO doesn't seem to always start when I log in, but
> no other problems.
>
>> From what you say, it sounds like a) permissions, b) ownership, c) selinux.

Agreed but I am not sure where to look since rpm -V says all is OK and
setenforce 0 does not help. System logs also show nothing.

Does anyone know what the phrase "accessing your central configuration" is
referring to?

Tom me@tdiehl.org Spamtrap address me123@tdiehl.org

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 PM

me@tdiehl.org wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> me@tdiehl.org wrote:
>>>
>>> I just upgraded to C-6.3. Since the upgrade when I try to start
>>> LibreOffice I get the following error: "The application cannot
>>> be started. A general error occurred while accessing your
>>> central configuration."
>>>
>>> I tried running it from both the command line and the application menu.
>>>
>>> If I run it as root it starts up normally.
>> <snip>
Ok, try this - I've just done rpm -ql libreoffice-core | grep -i cfg, and
I see a lot's in /usr/lib64/libreoffice - you might check ownership there.

mark

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> me@tdiehl.org wrote:

>>> <snip>
> Ok, try this - I've just done rpm -ql libreoffice-core | grep -i cfg, and
> I see a lot's in /usr/lib64/libreoffice - you might check ownership there.

Everything listed there is root:root with 644 or 755 permissions.

I also did:
(tigger pts9) # rpm -V libreoffice-core
(tigger pts9) #

modulo so kind of packaging bug, I would expect rpm to complain if the
ownership or perms were wrong.

Tom me@tdiehl.org Spamtrap address me123@tdiehl.org

Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:34:13 -0400 (EDT)
me@tdiehl.org wrote:

> Does anyone know what the phrase "accessing your central configuration" is
> referring to?

Try this and see what happens:

rm -r ~/.config/libreoffice

Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 AM

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:34:13 -0400 (EDT)
> me@tdiehl.org wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what the phrase "accessing your central configuration" is
>> referring to?
>
> Try this and see what happens:
>
> rm -r ~/.config/libreoffice

Just because I like to see what I am going to rm before I actually do it, I
tried this instead:

(tigger pts3) $ ll ~/.config/libreoffice
/bin/ls: cannot access /home/tdiehl/.config/libreoffice: No such file or directory
(tigger pts3) $

I even made sure I owned ~/.config. It is owned by me and perms are 755.

Any other ideas?

Tom me@tdiehl.org Spamtrap address me123@tdiehl.org

Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:07:24 -0400 (EDT)
me@tdiehl.org wrote:

> Just because I like to see what I am going to rm before I actually do it, I
> tried this instead:
>
> (tigger pts3) $ ll ~/.config/libreoffice
> /bin/ls: cannot access /home/tdiehl/.config/libreoffice: No such file or
> directory (tigger pts3) $
>
> I even made sure I owned ~/.config. It is owned by me and perms are 755.
>
> Any other ideas?

Since ~/.config/libreoffice is where libreoffice stores your user configuration
files, I guess it didn't get that far before crashing.

I personally use the libreoffice rpms downloaded directly from
libreoffice.org. Perhaps you could remove the Centos-native rpms and try
installing the libreoffice.org rpms and see what happens. I've been using
their rpms since shortly after libreoffice got started, and it's been working
fine for me.

You will want to install all of the rpms in the RPMS directory in both the
install and helpfile tarballs, and the libreoffice-freedesktop-menus rpm in the
RPMS/desktop subdirectory.