Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Speedtest.mini on a local website?

I wonder if anyone has got speedtest.mini
from <http://speedtest.net/mini.php>
working under CentOS-6?

(It's a version of speedtest that one can run
on a local web-server.)

It used to work for me, but hasn't for a long time
(maybe several years ...)

Any suggestions or elucidation gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Stephen Harris

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 06:51:24PM +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has got speedtest.mini
> from <http://speedtest.net/mini.php>
> working under CentOS-6?

I just did
yum install php
cd /var/www/html
mkdir speedtest.mini
cd speedtest.mini
unzip ~/mini.zip
mv index-php.html index.php
service httpd restart

and it worked on my CentOS 6.3 build (I have SELinux turned off...)

Results: 93Mbit/s down, 80Mbit/s up... on a local 100Mbit client.

Not that it needs flash on the client 'cos it's really just speedtest.swf
that does the real work.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Timothy Murphy

Stephen Harris wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone has got speedtest.mini
>> from <http://speedtest.net/mini.php>
>> working under CentOS-6?
>
> I just did
> yum install php
> cd /var/www/html
> mkdir speedtest.mini
> cd speedtest.mini
> unzip ~/mini.zip
> mv index-php.html index.php
> service httpd restart

That is exactly what I did,
except I called it SpeedTest.php .
(I also tried SpeedTest.html .)

> and it worked on my CentOS 6.3 build (I have SELinux turned off...)

I also have SELinux turned off.
If I click on my home page www.gaylord.com/SpeedTest.php [website modified]
I just get a black page.

> Results: 93Mbit/s down, 80Mbit/s up... on a local 100Mbit client.

Maybe I have misunderstood the purpose of this program?
I'm not clear what you are measuring.
Are you running a web-server on this computer?
What command exactly would be given on a remote browser?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Ross Cavanagh

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> Stephen Harris wrote:
>
> >> I wonder if anyone has got speedtest.mini
> >> from <http://speedtest.net/mini.php>
> >> working under CentOS-6?
> >
> > I just did
> > yum install php
> > cd /var/www/html
> > mkdir speedtest.mini
> > cd speedtest.mini
> > unzip ~/mini.zip
> > mv index-php.html index.php
> > service httpd restart
>
> That is exactly what I did,
> except I called it SpeedTest.php .
> (I also tried SpeedTest.html .)
>
> > and it worked on my CentOS 6.3 build (I have SELinux turned off...)
>
> I also have SELinux turned off.
> If I click on my home page www.gaylord.com/SpeedTest.php [website
> modified]
> I just get a black page.
>
> > Results: 93Mbit/s down, 80Mbit/s up... on a local 100Mbit client.
>
> Maybe I have misunderstood the purpose of this program?
> I'm not clear what you are measuring.
> Are you running a web-server on this computer?
> What command exactly would be given on a remote browser?
>
> Just a quick thing, which you may have already checked. But are the
permissions OK?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Timothy Murphy

Ross Cavanagh wrote:

>> If I click on my home page www.gaylord.com/SpeedTest.php [website
>> modified]
>> I just get a black page.
>>
>> > Results: 93Mbit/s down, 80Mbit/s up... on a local 100Mbit client.
>>
>> Maybe I have misunderstood the purpose of this program?
>> I'm not clear what you are measuring.
>> Are you running a web-server on this computer?
>> What command exactly would be given on a remote browser?

> Just a quick thing, which you may have already checked. But are the
> permissions OK?

Everything in /var/www/html is owned by apache.apache .
I've left the file permission (read and write)
as they appear in the source mini.zip .

But I'm still wondering if I understand the purpose of the program
If I browse to speedtest.net I'm told the upload and download speeds
of my machine.

I assumed that if I put speedtest.mini on a website
then someone who accesses SpeedTest on the web-site
will get the upload and download speeds of the machine hosting the website.
Is that correct?

I was puzzled why the man who said speedtest.mini worked for him
spoke (above) of a local 100Mb client.
This wouldn't make much sense with my (mis?)understanding of the program.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Stephen Harris

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:25:54PM +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I assumed that if I put speedtest.mini on a website
> then someone who accesses SpeedTest on the web-site
> will get the upload and download speeds of the machine hosting the website.
> Is that correct?

No. It will tell you the upload/download speeds between the web client
and your web server. If your client and webserver are on the same LAN
then you're testing your LAN speed. If your client and webserver are
separated by the internet then you're testing the speed of the internet
links.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Timothy Murphy

Stephen Harris wrote:

> It will tell you the upload/download speeds between the web client
> and your web server. If your client and webserver are on the same LAN
> then you're testing your LAN speed. If your client and webserver are
> separated by the internet then you're testing the speed of the internet
> links.

That's really what I meant.
In any case, speedtest.mini does not work for me either way.
It just shows a blank black (or dark-blue) page.
This is running on two CentOS-6.3 servers (one remote),
and looking from a Firefox browser on a Fedora-17 laptop.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Stephen Harris

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 02:39:18PM +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> This is running on two CentOS-6.3 servers (one remote),
> and looking from a Firefox browser on a Fedora-17 laptop.

You need flash on the browser for it to work.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Timothy Murphy

Stephen Harris wrote:

>> This is running on two CentOS-6.3 servers (one remote),
>> and looking from a Firefox browser on a Fedora-17 laptop.

> You need flash on the browser for it to work.

I do have flash-plugin-11.2 for firefox,
which seems to be the last version Adobe is going to produce.
I think speedtest.mini says you must have version 8 at least.

Also, I see from the source that a message should come up
if you don't have flash.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Kahlil Hodgson

On 19/07/12 09:05, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Stephen Harris wrote:
>
>>> This is running on two CentOS-6.3 servers (one remote),
>>> and looking from a Firefox browser on a Fedora-17 laptop.
>
>> You need flash on the browser for it to work.
>
> I do have flash-plugin-11.2 for firefox,
> which seems to be the last version Adobe is going to produce.
> I think speedtest.mini says you must have version 8 at least.
>
> Also, I see from the source that a message should come up
> if you don't have flash.

Do you have NoScript or AdBlockPlus or any other firefox add-on that
might be interfering?

Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382
DealMax Pty Ltd (w) +61 (0) 3 9008 5281

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer." -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925