Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Mogens Kjaer

Default New /boot/message file?

On 07/15/2012 02:10 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I've just updated my 5.8 box and there's a new kernel to be
> installed.
>
> Looking at /boot/ directory I see this file called message:
>
> -rw-r--r-- root root 80032 Mar 12 2009 message
>
> Can anyone twll me what this message file is for please?

$ file message
message: PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [319, 199], 8-bit
colour, 300 x 300 dpi, RLE compressed

$ display message

and you see a CentOS logo. Splash screen on boot?

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 07/15/2012 07:10 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I've just updated my 5.8 box and there's a new kernel to be
> installed.
>
> Looking at /boot/ directory I see this file called message:
>
> -rw-r--r-- root root 80032 Mar 12 2009 message
>
> Can anyone twll me what this message file is for please?
>
> Is this a new grub or kernel file?

[hughesjr@localhost boot]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /boot/message
redhat-logos-4.9.99-11.el5.centos.noarch

[hughesjr@chakra boot]$ file /boot/message
/boot/message: PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [319, 199],
8-bit colour, 300 x 300 dpi, RLE compressed

This is the graphical image that grub uses when you boot. see this for
details:

http://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-rg-en-7.2/s1-boot-init-shutdown-booting.html

NOTE: This file is not new, it has been in /boot/ since the Red Hat
Linux 5.x days at least.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 07/15/2012 08:06 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/15/2012 07:10 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I've just updated my 5.8 box and there's a new kernel to be
>> installed.
>>
>> Looking at /boot/ directory I see this file called message:
>>
>> -rw-r--r-- root root 80032 Mar 12 2009 message
>>
>> Can anyone twll me what this message file is for please?
>>
>> Is this a new grub or kernel file?
>
> [hughesjr@localhost boot]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /boot/message
> redhat-logos-4.9.99-11.el5.centos.noarch
>
> [hughesjr@chakra boot]$ file /boot/message
> /boot/message: PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [319, 199],
> 8-bit colour, 300 x 300 dpi, RLE compressed
>
> This is the graphical image that grub uses when you boot. see this for
> details:
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-rg-en-7.2/s1-boot-init-shutdown-booting.html
>
> NOTE: This file is not new, it has been in /boot/ since the Red Hat
> Linux 5.x days at least.

I said GRUB ... I meant LILO

Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] New /boot/message file?
>
> On 07/15/2012 07:10 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I've just updated my 5.8 box and there's a new kernel to be
>> installed.
>>
>> Looking at /boot/ directory I see this file called message:
>>
>> -rw-r--r-- root root 80032 Mar 12 2009 message
>>
>> Can anyone twll me what this message file is for please?
>>
>> Is this a new grub or kernel file?
>
> [hughesjr@localhost boot]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /boot/message
> redhat-logos-4.9.99-11.el5.centos.noarch
>
> [hughesjr@chakra boot]$ file /boot/message
> /boot/message: PCX ver. 3.0 image data bounding box [0, 0] - [319, 199],
> 8-bit colour, 300 x 300 dpi, RLE compressed
>
> This is the graphical image that grub uses when you boot. see this for
> details:
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-rg-en-7.2/s1-boot-init-shutdown-booting.html
>
> NOTE: This file is not new, it has been in /boot/ since the Red Hat
> Linux 5.x days at least.

Thanks Mogens and Johnny for your replies.

/boot/message is the Centos 5 logo that I see when
doing a fresh installation from DVD.

I have moved grub to a seperate boot partition, and I have
not noticed the Centos /boot/message file until now, which
is why I asked what it was.

When Grub boots from my seperate boot partition, it uses the

[root@karsites grub]# file splash.xpm.gz
splash.xpm.gz: gzip compressed data, was "splash.xpm", from
Unix, last modified: Tue Jan 27 22:38:12 2009

under /mnt/GrubBoot/boot/grub/

I moved Grub boot loader to a seperate partition to stop the
grub.conf file from being updated when there is a kernel
update. I like to change grub.conf manually myself, just in
case there are any issues with a newer kernel.

Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Reindl Harald wrote:

*snip*

> you really think you are better writing grub.conf manually
> than grubby will do? if there are issues with a newer
> kernel then boot with the old one, that is why the previous
> does not get removed on updates
>
> how will you ever notice problems with a new kernel before
> it was loaded and how should it be loaded before a grub-entry
> is made?

Some good points there Reindl.

I update my box once a week now.

Usually if there are any kernel issues they are made know
in a reasonable time. If I don't hear of any then I know
it's safe for me to move to the latest kernel release.

So basically I'm playing safe by letting others find any
issues, and waiting until that's been addressed with another
kernel release before I move onto the latest kernel.

Kind Regards,

Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Reindl Harald wrote:

*snip*

> but what is the point to break your system to not
> automatically maintain grub.conf in this context? what is
> the advantage have to add the new kernel manually to the
> config?

Good point again Reindl.

I've not broken the system, it's just I want to decide when
the new kernel should be booted.

My reason is I've had the kernel version change and that has
been buggy and broke my system. So I'd rather take control
myself over when my box moves to a newer kernel version.

It's no problem for me to mount the GrubBoot partition and
edit grub.conf manually, after making a backup of that file
first, and then reboot the system.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM
William Hooper

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net> wrote:
> I've not broken the system, it's just I want to decide when
> the new kernel should be booted.

The edit the /etc/sysconfig/kernel file and tell the system not to
update the default kernel to the newly install one.

--
William Hooper

Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, William Hooper wrote:

> From: William Hooper <whooperhsd@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] New /boot/message file?
>
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net> wrote:
>> I've not broken the system, it's just I want to decide when
>> the new kernel should be booted.
>
> The edit the /etc/sysconfig/kernel file and tell the system not to
> update the default kernel to the newly install one.

Thanks for that William, I'll check that out soon.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Reindl Harald wrote:

> From: Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] New /boot/message file?
>

> Am 15.07.2012 22:51, schrieb Keith Roberts:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> *snip*
>>
>>> but what is the point to break your system to not
>>> automatically maintain grub.conf in this context? what is
>>> the advantage have to add the new kernel manually to the
>>> config?
>>
>> Good point again Reindl.
>>
>> I've not broken the system, it's just I want to decide when
>> the new kernel should be booted.
>
> why in the world do you install it if you do not want it to get booted?
> if you do not update the kernel simaply "yum --exclude=kernel* upgrade"

Hi Reindl.

I install it but delay using it untill I decide to activate
it myself.

>> My reason is I've had the kernel version change and that has
>> been buggy and broke my system. So I'd rather take control
>> myself over when my box moves to a newer kernel version
>
> and what do you think what is "default=0" in "grub.conf"
> is for? exactly to specfiy WHAT installed kernel should
> be booted

This is part of my grub.conf file Reindl:

default=1

# comment this out to skip the countdown screen
# and go straight to the GRUB boot menu and stop there.
# timeout=300

splashimage=(hd0,13)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu

title Initial CentOS 5.5 DVD kernel (vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.el5)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.el5 ro root=LABEL=Centos-5-root
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-194.el5.img

title CentOS 5.8 system (vmlinuz-2.6.18-308.11.1.el5)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-308.11.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=Centos-5-root
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-308.11.1.el5.img

The timeout is disabled so I can select which kernel to
boot myself, after updating grub.conf.

I kept the details for the Centos DVD kernel so I can use my
own grub.conf file if I needed to do a fresh installation of
Centos.