-   -   python 2.7 on CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/683491-python-2-7-centos.html)

Kaushal Shriyan 07-14-2012 02:10 AM

python 2.7 on CentOS

Hi

Is python 2.7 available in CentOS 5.8 repos?

Regards

Kaushal

Digimer 07-14-2012 02:26 AM

python 2.7 on CentOS

On 07/13/2012 10:10 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is python 2.7 available in CentOS 5.8 repos?
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal

It's not available in any centos repo. Red Hat doesn't update the
version of anything in Enterprise Linux, beyond bug and security fixes.
CentOS being binary compatible follows the same rules.

If you want python 2.7 you will need to find a 3rd party repo or install
from source.

--
Digimer

Johnny Hughes 07-14-2012 08:45 PM

python 2.7 on CentOS

On 07/13/2012 09:26 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 10:10 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is python 2.7 available in CentOS 5.8 repos?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Kaushal
> It's not available in any centos repo. Red Hat doesn't update the
> version of anything in Enterprise Linux, beyond bug and security fixes.
> CentOS being binary compatible follows the same rules.
>
> If you want python 2.7 you will need to find a 3rd party repo or install
> from source.

Note that the main python version that ships with CentOS is critical to
normal operations, so if you want to also have a newer version of python
on there then you will have to install the newer version in an alternate
location and have it co-exist with the current version of python.

I can not stress this too much ... CentOS absolutely will not function
if you upgrade the installed python to a newer version, so make sure you
know what you are doing when installing a new version alongside the old one.