Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Default 70-persistent-net-rules

Jerry Geis wrote:
> When my machine installs (CentOS 6.3) the two network cards are
> getting reversed. The PCI card is getting eth0 and the motherboard is
> getting eth1.
> I would like them in reverse order to keep things the same as they used
> to be.
>
> How can I easily tell these two to reverse?
>
> Generate the 70-persistent-net-rules with motherboard eth0 first then
> the PCI slot?

Edit the existing one? It does persist through reboots, which is what you
might expect from the name.

mark

Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Jerry Geis

> Edit the existing one? It does persist through reboots, which is what you
> might expect from the name.
>
> mark
Mark

I'd like to automate- Editing is prone to mistakes. Its not just one
machine.

So I'd like to automate it.

jerry

Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Digimer

On 07/13/2012 04:23 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> When my machine installs (CentOS 6.3) the two network cards are
> getting reversed. The PCI card is getting eth0 and the motherboard is
> getting eth1.
> I would like them in reverse order to keep things the same as they used
> to be.
>
> How can I easily tell these two to reverse?
>
> Generate the 70-persistent-net-rules with motherboard eth0 first then
> the PCI slot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

https://alteeve.com/w/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL 6_and_Fedora_12%2B

In that, I edit the 70-persistent-net-rules file, but now I just remove
it. In short;

1. Stop networking
2. move HWADDR value between ifcfg-ethX files.
3. Delete 70-persistent-net-rules
4. Run; 'start_udev'
5. Start networking.

--
Digimer

Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:

>> Edit the existing one? It does persist through reboots, which is what
>> you might expect from the name.
>>
> I'd like to automate- Editing is prone to mistakes. Its not just one
> machine.
>
> So I'd like to automate it.

That's a lot more complicated, since each have their own MACs. Do you have
a) some kind of centrally-controlled configuration, and b) are they all
under DHCP, and only allow known MAC addresses to get IPs? If yes to both
of those, you could write a script to make it, using those, and push it
out.

On the other hand, you only need to do it once for each machine.

mark

Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> When my machine installs (CentOS 6.3) the two network cards are
> getting reversed. The PCI card is getting eth0 and the motherboard is
> getting eth1.
> I would like them in reverse order to keep things the same as they used
> to be.
>
> How can I easily tell these two to reverse?
>
> Generate the 70-persistent-net-rules with motherboard eth0 first then
> the PCI slot?

I don't think you can always count on the detection order - so blindly
automating a swap is probably a bad idea. Also, you are going to need
the right MAC addresses in your ifcfg-eth? files to keep them nailed
down.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Arun Khan

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

>> Edit the existing one? It does persist through reboots, which is what you
>> might expect from the name.
>>
>> mark
> Mark
>
> I'd like to automate- Editing is prone to mistakes. Its not just one
> machine.
>
> So I'd like to automate it.

I don't know of convenient way to automate it. Is it possible to
install the OS w/o the 2nd NIC? That way the embedded NIC will always
be eth0. Later you can install the 2nd NIC which will get detected as
eth1.

--
Arun Khan
"As a layman, I would say we have it, but as a scientist I have to