-   -   CentOS6.2: installation at specific kernel level (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/682916-centos6-2-installation-specific-kernel-level.html)

Cal Sawyer 07-12-2012 02:08 PM

CentOS6.2: installation at specific kernel level

Hi, all

I have a number of machines that are out of sync with one another by
virtue of having done a yum update after a base 6.2 install at different
times (all were previous CentOS 5.3) Consequently, systems are a mix of
2.6.32-220.7.1, 2.6.32-220.13.1 or 2.6.32-220.17.1.

So 2 questions:
- Is it possible to perform a yum update (or another other kind of
update), specifying installation of, say, kernel 2.6.32-220.17.1 along
with the packages that were relevant at the time when 2.6.32-220.17.1
was current?
- Is it possible to capture and save for future installations the
current kernel rev and associated packages as exist in the repos today
and install as a "frozen-in-time" distribution?

thanks!

- c sawyer

Scott Silva 07-12-2012 03:37 PM

CentOS6.2: installation at specific kernel level

on 7/12/2012 7:08 AM Cal Sawyer spake the following:
> Hi, all
>
> I have a number of machines that are out of sync with one another by
> virtue of having done a yum update after a base 6.2 install at different
> times (all were previous CentOS 5.3) Consequently, systems are a mix of
> 2.6.32-220.7.1, 2.6.32-220.13.1 or 2.6.32-220.17.1.
>
> So 2 questions:
> - Is it possible to perform a yum update (or another other kind of
> update), specifying installation of, say, kernel 2.6.32-220.17.1 along
> with the packages that were relevant at the time when 2.6.32-220.17.1
> was current?
> - Is it possible to capture and save for future installations the
> current kernel rev and associated packages as exist in the repos today
> and install as a "frozen-in-time" distribution?
>
> thanks!
>
> - c sawyer

Why? Old kernels have flaws... That is why a new one was released...

07-12-2012 04:55 PM

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 7/12/2012 7:08 AM Cal Sawyer spake the following:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> I have a number of machines that are out of sync with one another by
>> virtue of having done a yum update after a base 6.2 install at different
>> times (all were previous CentOS 5.3) Consequently, systems are a mix of
>> 2.6.32-220.7.1, 2.6.32-220.13.1 or 2.6.32-220.17.1.
>>
>> So 2 questions:
>> - Is it possible to perform a yum update (or another other kind of
>> update), specifying installation of, say, kernel 2.6.32-220.17.1 along
>> with the packages that were relevant at the time when 2.6.32-220.17.1
>> was current?
>> - Is it possible to capture and save for future installations the
>> current kernel rev and associated packages as exist in the repos today
>> and install as a "frozen-in-time" distribution?
>>
> Why? Old kernels have flaws... That is why a new one was released...

a) production reasons and version control; if something becomes a show
stopper that wasn't found before going live, you need to roll back,
*easily* and *fast* to one known to work; or, on the obverse, if a problem
is discovered, you need to be able to go back and find where it started,
and what it affected (and lawyers could be involved in the latter).

b) because no matter how well you test, you'll likely miss something....

mark

Les Mikesell 07-12-2012 05:00 PM

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> >> - Is it possible to capture and save for future installations the
>> current kernel rev and associated packages as exist in the repos today
>> and install as a "frozen-in-time" distribution?
>>
>> thanks!
>>

> Why? Old kernels have flaws... That is why a new one was released...

The new one will have flaws too. Just ones you don't know about yet.
That's why there will be another one released again soon. Sometimes
you want to let someone else find the flaws first.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Tom Brown 07-12-2012 05:07 PM

CentOS6.2: installation at specific kernel level

Yes

Look at either spacewalk and cloning of channels at a point in time or pulp.

thanks