Old 04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Bill Campbell

Default kickstart ks.cfg file on USB devices

Is there an easy way to specify the proper device location for
the kickstart configuration file if it is on a USB flash or USB
floppy drive? Depending on the hard disk configuration they
might by /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.

On SuSE'autoyast instalattions, the system searches all available
devices for an ``info' configuration file. Does CentOS 5.x do
something similar to find a ``ks.cfg' file?

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Scientists are explorers. Philosophers are tourists. -- Richard Feynman

Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Milton Calnek

findfs comes to mind.

other than that...
fdisk -l | grep

--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com

believed to be clean.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 PM
John

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 12:18 -0600, Milton Calnek wrote:
> findfs comes to mind.
>
> other than that...
> fdisk -l | grep
>
> Bill Campbell wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to specify the proper device location for
> > the kickstart configuration file if it is on a USB flash or USB
> > floppy drive? Depending on the hard disk configuration they
> > might by /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.
> >
> > On SuSE'autoyast instalattions, the system searches all available
> > devices for an ``info' configuration file. Does CentOS 5.x do
> > something similar to find a ``ks.cfg' file?

"ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg" Specify it at the command prompt at boot time. You
may have to substitute the drive you have your Kick Start file in.....

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Bill Campbell

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008, Milton Calnek wrote:
>findfs comes to mind.
>
>other than that...
>fdisk -l | grep

That's fine -- once the system has been installed, but I'm
looking for a general way when attempting kickstart installs
on new hardware that may find devices in different places.

>Bill Campbell wrote:
>>Is there an easy way to specify the proper device location for
>>the kickstart configuration file if it is on a USB flash or USB
>>floppy drive? Depending on the hard disk configuration they
>>might by /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.
>>
>>On SuSE'autoyast instalattions, the system searches all available
>>devices for an ``info' configuration file. Does CentOS 5.x do
>>something similar to find a ``ks.cfg' file?
>>
>>Bill
>
>--
>Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
>milton@calnek.com
>306-717-8737
>

>--
>believed to be clean.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is
not far away. It is time to go elsewhere. The best thing about space
travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere. -- Robert Heinlein

Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Bill Campbell

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008, John wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 12:18 -0600, Milton Calnek wrote:
>> findfs comes to mind.
>>
>> other than that...
>> fdisk -l | grep
>>
>> Bill Campbell wrote:
>> > Is there an easy way to specify the proper device location for
>> > the kickstart configuration file if it is on a USB flash or USB
>> > floppy drive? Depending on the hard disk configuration they
>> > might by /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.
>> >
>> > On SuSE'autoyast instalattions, the system searches all available
>> > devices for an ``info' configuration file. Does CentOS 5.x do
>> > something similar to find a ``ks.cfg' file?
>
>"ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg" Specify it at the command prompt at boot time. You
>may have to substitute the drive you have your Kick Start file in.....

That's a no brainer, but when I'm testing various ks.cfg files,
it's far quicker to be able to edit a file on a USB device than
to burn a new CD.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops
moving, subsidize it -- Ronald Reagan