Old 04-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Glenn

Default Mail problems? Need help finding this process!

Hello All,

I can't get this one figured out. The few search hits I get on it
suggest it is mail-related, but I don't even know how that was determined.

Apr 11 12:18:17 mxt root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255
with signal 0

I get one of these per minute. I can't seem to tweak for more verbosity.

Could someone tell me what is going on or point me to a place to
start troubleshooting this?

CentOS 5 final fully updated
Sendmail 8.13.8
Dovecot 1.01
MailScanner 4.68.8
SpamAssassin 3.2.4
ClamAV 0.92.1

My milters have been turned off for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Glenn

Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Keith Christian

--- Glenn <centos@1bigadmin.biz> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I can't get this one figured out. The few search hits I get on it
> suggest it is mail-related, but I don't even know how that was determined.
>
> Apr 11 12:18:17 mxt root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255
> with signal 0
>
> I get one of these per minute. I can't seem to tweak for more verbosity.
>
> Could someone tell me what is going on or point me to a place to
> start troubleshooting this?
>
> CentOS 5 final fully updated
> Sendmail 8.13.8
> Dovecot 1.01
> MailScanner 4.68.8
> SpamAssassin 3.2.4
> ClamAV 0.92.1
>
> My milters have been turned off for troubleshooting.
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn

See if strace is installed on the system.

When the mxt process appears in ps aux or ps -ef, quickly note the PID
(suppose it's 6789) and attach to the process with strace:

strace -p 6789

See if that yields anything. Also, have you perused ALL log files for traces
of mxt ?

Try as root:

find /var -type f -mtime 0 -exec grep -Hi mxt {} ;

That will scan every regular file under /var. The -H option to grep has grep
print the filename that mxt was found in.

=======Keith

Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Milton Calnek

Keith Christian wrote:

--- Glenn <centos@1bigadmin.biz> wrote:

Hello All,

I can't get this one figured out. The few search hits I get on it
suggest it is mail-related, but I don't even know how that was determined.

Apr 11 12:18:17 mxt root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255
with signal 0

I get one of these per minute. I can't seem to tweak for more verbosity.

Could someone tell me what is going on or point me to a place to
start troubleshooting this?

Thanks,
Glenn

When the mxt process appears in ps aux or ps -ef, quickly note the PID
(suppose it's 6789) and attach to the process with strace:

strace -p 6789

I'm pretty sure mxt is Glenn's host name... so you won't find it in ps.

Something is starting a process aprox 1/min, or the process runs for aprox 1 min
before it is restarted.

Check /var/log/cron to see if there's something running there.
What's in your /etc/inittab?
Also, try ps -ef to find new processes. You may have to do this more than once.

--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com

believed to be clean.