Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Tim Dunphy

Default installing centos 6 on an old bird

Guys,

I've been trying to install centos 6.2, then 6.3 onto a supermicro 6013P-8
which does not have a DVD rom drive. Those newer version of CentOS only
have DVD (not CD) iso versions so I've been sharing the install via NFS.

With each try the install hangs forever installing
'selinux-policy-targeted-3.7.19-154.el6.noarch'. How can I disable that
feature and / or SE Linux altogether so that I can get CentOS 6 installed?
I would of course install SE Linux once the box was up.

I'd really appreciate some advice here.

Thanks!
Tim

--
GPG me!!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Phil Savoie

Hi Tim,

What if you symlink the shared nfs dir to /var/www/html/somedir and try
the http protocol? May help?

Phil

--
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)

Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 PM
"Andrew S Reis"

Or create a simple kickstart file that would specify the HTTP or FTP method
and install from a public mirror?

Andrew Reis

Microsoft Windows/Networking Support
Webmaster
DBMS Inc.
Toll-Free: (888) 862-0662 ext. 307
Direct: (318) 219-5034
andy@dbmsinc.com
http://www.dbmsinc.com

--
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)

Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Mark LaPierre

On 07/11/2012 02:53 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've been trying to install centos 6.2, then 6.3 onto a supermicro 6013P-8
> which does not have a DVD rom drive. Those newer version of CentOS only
> have DVD (not CD) iso versions so I've been sharing the install via NFS.
>

> With each try the install hangs forever installing
> 'selinux-policy-targeted-3.7.19-154.el6.noarch'. How can I disable that
> feature and / or SE Linux altogether so that I can get CentOS 6 installed?
> I would of course install SE Linux once the box was up.
>
> I'd really appreciate some advice here.
>
> Thanks!
> Tim

Rip all the RPM files from the DVD. Then share that directory on NFS
and install from that. Leave out the problematic RPMs from the directory.

I used to do network installs from an NFS server just this way. I had
several different distributions/versions shared on the NFS server. You
could install any one of the shared distros that you wanted.

--
_
/(_)

Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Keith Roberts

On 07/11/2012 02:53 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've been trying to install centos 6.2, then 6.3 onto a
> supermicro 6013P-8 which does not have a DVD rom drive.
> Those newer version of CentOS only have DVD (not CD) iso
> versions so I've been sharing the
> install via NFS.
>
> With each try the install hangs forever installing
> 'selinux-policy-targeted-3.7.19-154.el6.noarch'. How can I
> disable that feature and / or SE Linux altogether so that
> I can get CentOS 6 installed? I would of course install SE
> Linux once the box was up.
>
> I'd really appreciate some advice here.

Hi Tim.

In your kickstart file add this line: (this is for 5.x - not
tested it on 6.x yet)

# Turn off SELinux.
selinux --disabled

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/kickstart-files.php

You might also find this helpful

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/kickstart-PDF-manual.php

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Mogens Kjaer

On 07/12/2012 07:23 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> In your kickstart file add this line: (this is for 5.x - not
> tested it on 6.x yet)
>
> # Turn off SELinux.
> selinux --disabled

All the CentOS machines I've installed have had
selinux set to disabled this way.

However, the packet selinux-policy-targeted get's installed anyway.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Tim Dunphy

>What if you symlink the shared nfs dir to /var/www/html/somedir and try
>the http protocol? May help?

Already tried using http, and got the same result. I don't think,
therefore, that the method of install is the problem at all. I think there
may be some hardware compatibility problem with that (and possibly other)
component of SELinux.

>Rip all the RPM files from the DVD. Then share that directory on NFS
>and install from that. Leave out the problematic RPMs from the directory.

That's precisely what I was thinking of doing. Just haven't got the chance
to do that yet. I'll be busy the next few days hopefully next week I can
try again.

> # Turn off SELinux.
> selinux --disabled

Might want to try that in addition to ripping out the RPMs, tho I'm not
sure doing both would be necessary.

Maybe it's the CPU that's having a problem with SELinux under CentOS 6?

Socket Designation: CPU2
Type: Central Processor
Family: Xeon
Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
ID: 29 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 2, Stepping 9
Flags:
FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
VME (Virtual mode extension)
DE (Debugging extension)
PSE (Page size extension)
TSC (Time stamp counter)
MSR (Model specific registers)
PAE (Physical address extension)
MCE (Machine check exception)
CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
SEP (Fast system call)
MTRR (Memory type range registers)
PGE (Page global enable)
MCA (Machine check architecture)
CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
PAT (Page attribute table)
PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
DS (Debug store)
ACPI (ACPI supported)
MMX (MMX technology supported)
FXSR (FXSAVE and FXSTOR instructions supported)
SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
SS (Self-snoop)
HTT (Multi-threading)
TM (Thermal monitor supported)
PBE (Pending break enabled)
Version: Intel(R) Xeon(TM)
Voltage: 1.6 V
External Clock: Unknown
Max Speed: 3500 MHz

Dunno.. but thanks for the advice! I look forward to my next attempt to
this. I'd really rather not have to buy new hardware just to run centos 6.
There are several libraries and packages that I need from 6 that I don't
feel like futzing with on 5 (python and some of it's tools like
python-virt-inst) immediately come to mind.

Thanks for your input guys!
Tim

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@lemo.dk> wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 07:23 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> > In your kickstart file add this line: (this is for 5.x - not
> > tested it on 6.x yet)
> >
> > # Turn off SELinux.
> > selinux --disabled
>
> All the CentOS machines I've installed have had
> selinux set to disabled this way.
>
> However, the packet selinux-policy-targeted get's installed anyway.
>
> Mogens
>
> --
> Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
> http://www.lemo.dk

GPG me!!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 05:49:50 AM Tim Dunphy wrote:
> > # Turn off SELinux.
> > selinux --disabled
>
> Might want to try that in addition to ripping out the RPMs, tho I'm not
> sure doing both would be necessary.

> Maybe it's the CPU that's having a problem with SELinux under CentOS 6?

Tim,

I think SELinux is a red herring in this case; I'm running upstream RHEL Server 6.3 32-bit with SELinux in enforcing mode on an older Supermicro system (motherboard P4DP6, has a DVD-ROM CD-RW drive in it) with the following CPU:

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 35 bytes
Processor Information
Socket Designation: CPU1
Type: Central Processor
Family: Xeon
Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
ID: 27 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 2, Stepping 7
[...]
Max Speed: 3000 MHz
Current Speed: 2800 MHz
Upgrade: Other
L1 Cache Handle: 0x000B
L2 Cache Handle: 0x000C
L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
Serial Number: Not Specified
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: Not Specified

Have you tried using the minimal install iso? It will fit on a CD.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Lars Hecking

> I think SELinux is a red herring in this case; I'm running upstream RHEL Server 6.3 32-bit with SELinux in enforcing mode on an older Supermicro system (motherboard P4DP6, has a DVD-ROM CD-RW drive in it) with the following CPU:

The problem with the selinux rpms is that they need copious amounts of RAM
during installation. From my experience, a minimum of 0.75 to 1GB.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:16:23 AM Lars Hecking wrote:

> > I think SELinux is a red herring in this case; I'm running upstream RHEL Server 6.3 32-bit with SELinux in enforcing mode on an older Supermicro system (motherboard P4DP6, has a DVD-ROM CD-RW drive in it) with the following CPU:
>
> The problem with the selinux rpms is that they need copious amounts of RAM
> during installation. From my experience, a minimum of 0.75 to 1GB.

Tim didn't detail the amount of RAM he had (to the best of my recollection) but my machine of that same age has 4GB, so RAM wasn't an issue here, at least not for the selinux piece.

But that's a good data point, and really should be addressed as part of the system requirements for upstream.... actually, 1GB is the recommended minimum RAM on a 32 bit system by upstream.

Most of my 32-bit Xeons here have 1.5GB or more RAM, and most Xeons from that timeframe would have shipped with 1GB minimum (I don't think my lowest end Xeon, a Dell PE1600SC, was even available at the time with less than 1GB).