Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Stephen Harris

Default installing centos 6 on an old bird

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 02:04:40PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:16:23 AM Lars Hecking wrote:
> > The problem with the selinux rpms is that they need copious amounts of RAM
> > during installation. From my experience, a minimum of 0.75 to 1GB.

> But that's a good data point, and really should be addressed as part of the system requirements for upstream.... actually, 1GB is the recommended minimum RAM on a 32 bit system by upstream.

Would a minimal kickstart file do? This is mine, which I use to build
small VMS (4Gb disk, 512Mb RAM)

install
url --url http://repo/CentOS/DVD/CentOS-6
text
reboot

lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us

network --onboot yes --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp --ipv6 auto

rootpw --iscrypted yeahyeahyeah
authconfig --enableshadow --passalgo=sha512

firewall --disabled
selinux --disabled

timezone --utc America/New_York

zerombr yes
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype=ext4 --asprimary --size=100
part swap --asprimary --size=512
part / --fstype=ext4 --asprimary --grow --size=1
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=vda --append=" crashkernel=auto quiet"

repo --name="CentOS" --baseurl=http://repo/CentOS/DVD/CentOS-6 --cost=100
repo --name="Updates" --baseurl=http://repo/CentOS/updates/centos6/x86_64 --cost=500

%packages --nobase
@core
yum
openssh-server
openssh-clients
ksh
dos2unix
ntp-perl
logwatch
wget
acpid
yum-plugin-priorities
bind-utils
-checkpolicy
-policycoreutils
-selinux-policy
-selinux-policy-targeted
-efibootmgr
-kernel-firmware
-aic94xx-firmware
-atmel-firmware
-b43-openfwwf
-bfa-firmware
-ipw2100-firmware
-ipw2200-firmware
-ivtv-firmware
-iwl100-firmware
-iwl1000-firmware
-iwl3945-firmware
-iwl4965-firmware
-iwl5000-firmware
-iwl5150-firmware
-iwl6000-firmware
-iwl6000g2a-firmware
-iwl6000g2b-firmware
-iwl6050-firmware
-libertas-usb8388-firmware
-netxen-firmware
-ql2100-firmware
-ql2200-firmware
-ql23xx-firmware
-ql2400-firmware
-ql2500-firmware
-rt61pci-firmware
-rt73usb-firmware
-xorg-x11-drv-ati-firmware
-zd1211-firmware

%post
%end

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Tim Dunphy

hey guys,

sorry it took so long to get back to you. But I was finally able to do
this.

To recap:

>Are you absolutely sure the install hangs forever? How long is forever?
I have noticed too that at the end of the >installation, the system seems
hung for quite some time on this package (or whatever postinstall script is
running at >the end). I have had times when the system seemed hung but
after giving it a lot more time it would eventually >complete.

Well to give you a better idea of how I was defining "forever", I attempted
to do this over a few days. So I would load up centos 6.2 or 6.3 to the
point I would get to the SE Linux component. And then I would go out for
lunch, do some errands and come back to it 4 or 5 hours later. That to me
would constitute a 'forever'.

>Rip all the RPM files from the DVD. Then share that directory on NFS
>and install from that. Leave out the problematic RPMs from the directory.

Tried that too.. ultimately the install complained about
selinux-policy-targeted not being there and would refuse to proceed. So,
back to the drawing board.

>Tim didn't detail the amount of RAM he had (to the best of my
recollection) but my machine of that same age has >4GB, so RAM wasn't an
issue here, at least not for the selinux piece.

To answer this question - 8 GB

>Have you tried using the minimal install iso? It will fit on a CD.

Bingo! That was it. Thank you list! You guys rock. Always appreciate your
advice.

Best,
Tim

GPG me!!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Lamar Owen

On Monday, July 16, 2012 06:59:03 PM Tim Dunphy wrote:
> >Have you tried using the minimal install iso? It will fit on a CD.
>
> Bingo! That was it. Thank you list! You guys rock. Always appreciate your
> advice.

Glad that worked!