Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Jerry Geis

Default question on initrd.img file from images/pxeboot

What format is the images/pxeboot/initrd.img file on the DVD ?

Its not gzip
its not straight cpio

What is it?
I wish to change it.

I'm finding information on changing the gzip version of initrd
but not the PXE one.

If I do "file initrd.img" it just says data.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Mogens Kjaer

On 07/11/2012 02:48 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> If I do "file initrd.img" it just says data.

$ file initrd.img
initrd.img: LZMA compressed data, streamed

That may give you a hint.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 07-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Michael Coffman

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> What format is the images/pxeboot/initrd.img file on the DVD ?
>
> Its not gzip
> its not straight cpio
>
> What is it?
> I wish to change it.
>
> I'm finding information on changing the gzip version of initrd
> but not the PXE one.
>
> If I do "file initrd.img" it just says data.

I ran into this also. It's compressed using xz. You will probably need
to be on an rhel6/centos6 system to manage the image.

> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

-MichaelC

Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM
SilverTip257

Just grab the xz package.

I roll initrds (for a custom pxe boot setup) on a CentOS 5.8 host.
I've rerolled the initrd for 6.2 some time ago and you've reminded me
to take care of 6.3 today.

Name : xz
Arch : x86_64
Version : 4.999.9
Release : 0.3.beta.20091007git.el5
Size : 473 k
Repo : installed
use on free (as in
: freedom) operating systems. This is achieved by providing
tools and libraries
: which are similar to use than the equivalents of the most
popular existing
: compression algorithms.
:
: LZMA is a general purpose compression algorithm designed
by Igor Pavlov as
: part of 7-Zip. It provides high compression ratio while keeping the
: decompression speed fast.

---~~.~~---
Mike
// SilverTip257 //

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Andrew Reis

If you're updating your CentOS 5.X installation regularly at all, xz
and xz-libs should be automatically downloaded as a dependency for
something, can't quite remember what. Most of our 5.X machines have
pulled it when updates are run weekly.

---

_ANDREW REIS_

MCTS,
Network+
Software/Networking
Microsoft Windows Support/Webmaster

DBMS
Inc.
Email: andy@dbmsinc.com [6]
Direct Line: (888) 862-0662 ext.
307
Emergency # ONLY: (218) 833-2508
__

On 2012-07-11 11:58,
SilverTip257 wrote:

> Just grab the xz package.
>
> I roll initrds
(for a custom pxe boot setup) on a CentOS 5.8 host.
> I've rerolled the
initrd for 6.2 some time ago and you've reminded me
> to take care of
6.3 today.

> Name : xz
> Arch : x86_64
> Version : 4.999.9
> Release
: 0.3.beta.20091007git.el5
> Size : 473 k
> Repo : installed
easy to
> use on free (as in
> : freedom) operating systems. This is
achieved by providing
> tools and libraries
> : which are similar to use
than the equivalents of the most
> popular existing
> : compression
algorithms.
> :
> : LZMA is a general purpose compression algorithm
designed
> by Igor Pavlov as
> : part of 7-Zip. It provides high
compression ratio while keeping the
> : decompression speed fast.

---~~.~~---

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com [3]>
wrote:

>>> What format is the images/pxeboot/initrd.img file on the
DVD ? Its not gzip its not straight cpio What is it? I wish to change
it. I'm finding information on changing the gzip version of initrd but
not the PXE one. If I do "file initrd.img" it just says data.
>> I ran
into this also. It's compressed using xz. You will probably need to be
on an rhel6/centos6 system to manage the image.

>>> Thanks, Jerry

Links:
------
[1] mailto:CentOS@centos.org