Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Michael Eager

Default System crash -- no clue why

Hi --

My CentOS 5.8 server crashed, leaving no clue why. The
last entry in /var/log/messages is a dhcpd notice around
4:00am, followed by the restart message when I rebooted.
The only clue that I have is that the fan was running full
speed when I restarted it. The fan slowed to normal speed.

Any ideas what I can do to find out the cause?

--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
"Leen de Braal"

> Hi --
>
> My CentOS 5.8 server crashed, leaving no clue why. The
> last entry in /var/log/messages is a dhcpd notice around
> 4:00am, followed by the restart message when I rebooted.
> The only clue that I have is that the fan was running full
> speed when I restarted it. The fan slowed to normal speed.

Is normal on some mainboards.

> Any ideas what I can do to find out the cause?

I would go check your hardware
- memtest
- look inside the case for piling dust on coolers
- and check if you do not have bad capacitors (bulged)

> --
> Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
> 1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

L. de Braal
BraHa Systems
NL - Terneuzen
T +31 115 649333
F +31 115 649444

Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Michael Eager <eager@eagerm.com> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> My CentOS 5.8 server crashed, leaving no clue why. The
> last entry in /var/log/messages is a dhcpd notice around
> 4:00am, followed by the restart message when I rebooted.
> The only clue that I have is that the fan was running full
> speed when I restarted it. The fan slowed to normal speed.
>
> Any ideas what I can do to find out the cause?

Power failure?

--
Dale Dellutri

Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Dale Dellutri wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Michael Eager <eager@eagerm.com> wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> My CentOS 5.8 server crashed, leaving no clue why. The
>> last entry in /var/log/messages is a dhcpd notice around
>> 4:00am, followed by the restart message when I rebooted.
>> The only clue that I have is that the fan was running full
>> speed when I restarted it. The fan slowed to normal speed.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can do to find out the cause?
>
> Power failure?

Could you give more details? I've got servers that become completely
unresponsive. I plug in a keyboard and monitor, and zip - the screen's
live, but nothing works, and I have to power cycle. Is it something like
that, or did it crash by itself?

mark

Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
John R Pierce

On 07/10/12 8:36 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
> My CentOS 5.8 server crashed, leaving no clue why.

what sort of hardware was this? does it have lights out management
port, like IPMI, that might provide a hardware event log? does it have
ECC memory?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast