Old 04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
"Frank M. Ramaekers"

Default MS Exchange to CentOs (multiuser)

Is there a way to get mail from a MS Exchange server that is addressed
as user@host.domain.com rather than the user@domain.com so that users on
host.domain.com can read their mail on that host (CentOS). (I'm
assuming that Exchange needs to know about host.domain.com, somehow.)

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co. Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr. Fax: (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas 76710

Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Milton Calnek

So you want exchange to forward the mail to the centos?
Or you want the centos to pickup the mail from the exchange?

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:

Is there a way to get mail from a MS Exchange server that is addressed
as user@host.domain.com rather than the user@domain.com so that users on
host.domain.com can read their mail on that host (CentOS). (I'm
assuming that Exchange needs to know about host.domain.com, somehow.)

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co. Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr. Fax: (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas 76710

Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com
306-717-8737

believed to be clean.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Scott Nelson

Is there a way to get mail from a MS Exchange server that is addressed
as user@host.domain.com rather than the user@domain.com so that
users on

host.domain.com can read their mail on that host (CentOS). (I'm
assuming that Exchange needs to know about host.domain.com, somehow.)

A simple way (without any changes on the Exchange Server side) is to,
on the Centos host, add a .forward file in the user's home directory;
the contents would be the e-mail address you want the mail forwarded to.

Scott Nelson

Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Les Mikesell

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:

Is there a way to get mail from a MS Exchange server that is addressed
as user@host.domain.com rather than the user@domain.com so that users on
host.domain.com can read their mail on that host (CentOS). (I'm
assuming that Exchange needs to know about host.domain.com, somehow.)

The way mailers would know about host.domain.com is to look it up in
DNS. They will try for an MX record first, then an A record if the MX
doesn't exist. If that directs it to the right place, port 25 is open
between them, and the receiving machine is configured properly
everything should work.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM
"Frank M. Ramaekers"

Either way...just as long as the mail gets to CentOs...although, I have
control over the CentOS box and NOT over the Exchange server.

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
> Is there a way to get mail from a MS Exchange server that is addressed
> as user@host.domain.com rather than the user@domain.com so that users
on
> host.domain.com can read their mail on that host (CentOS). (I'm
> assuming that Exchange needs to know about host.domain.com, somehow.)
>
> Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
> Systems Programmer MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
> American Income Life Insurance Co. Phone: (254)761-6649
> 1200 Wooded Acres Dr. Fax: (254)741-5777
> Waco, Texas 76710
>

> __________________________________________________ ___
> This message contains information which is privileged and confidential
and is solely for the use of the
> intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware
that any review, disclosure,
> copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at
PrivacyAct@ailife.com.

Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com
306-717-8737

believed to be clean.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
"Frank M. Ramaekers"

Behalf Of >Les Mikesell
>Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 10:50 AM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] MS Exchange to CentOs (multiuser)
>
>Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
>> Is there a way to get mail from a MS Exchange server that is
addressed
>> as user@host.domain.com rather than the user@domain.com so that users
on
>> host.domain.com can read their mail on that host (CentOS). (I'm
>> assuming that Exchange needs to know about host.domain.com, somehow.)
>
>The way mailers would know about host.domain.com is to look it up in
>DNS. They will try for an MX record first, then an A record if the MX
>doesn't exist. If that directs it to the right place, port 25 is open
>between them, and the receiving machine is configured properly
>everything should work.
>
>--
> Les Mikesell
1) host.domain.com is in the DNS
2) No MX record for host.domain.com
3) host.domain.com has smtp
tcp 0 0 localhost.localdomain:smtp *:*
LISTEN
4) Configured properly? Don't know, what is proper?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Milton Calnek

Why not just have the CentOS users pop/imap to the exchange
server to read mail (t-bird/mutt/evolution)?

If that doesn't work, fetchmail will pickup mail and deliver it to
the localhost's mailserver. The users will want a cron job to do
this on a regular basis.

Or have the CentOS users change their email profile so that a copy
is forwarded to the CentOS boxes. Of course the CentOS boxes need
static ip's for this to work.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Milton Calnek