Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM
jiten jha

Default kickstart installation problem

It is just spelling mistake in path the original is

"ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"

If you have any link that help me so please send me .

Regards
Jitendra Jha

Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM
James Pearson

jiten jha wrote:
> It is just spelling mistake in path the original is
>
> "ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"

When you use the above in the command line, what is the error?

> If you have any link that help me so please send me .

I guess this gives all the info you should need:

<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/index.html>

Including:

<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html>

James Pearson

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
jiten jha

Dear james,

When I use centos 6.2 cd for boot after that it is ask for linux text or
gui installation there is put this command :
"ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM, James Pearson
<james-p@moving-picture.com>wrote:

> jiten jha wrote:
> > It is just spelling mistake in path the original is
> >
> > "ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"
>
> When you use the above in the command line, what is the error?
>
> > If you have any link that help me so please send me .
>
> I guess this gives all the info you should need:
>
> <
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/index.html
> >

> Including:
>
> <
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html
> >

> James Pearson

Regards
Jitendra Jha

Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 7/10/12, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install centos
> or scientific linux using NFS so it is not working and getting me error =
> "unable to download kickstart file".
> My kickstart file configuration is :

I had a somewhat similar problem with network install although I am
not sure if the same applies to you. In my case, I had to pass
additional kernel parameters to start the network interface with the
correct IP address and netmask, otherwise, it basically didn't have
networking and so couldn't download the kickstart file.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
jiten jha

can you send me the command i will try it.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
James Pearson

jiten jha wrote:
> Dear james,
>
> When I use centos 6.2 cd for boot after that it is ask for linux text or
> gui installation there is put this command :
> "ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"

What is the full boot command line you are using?

Do you have a DHCP server set up somewhere on the subnet? - as your
kickstart file is expecting to set up the host's network interface via DHCP

James Pearson

Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 7/10/12, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com> wrote:
> can you send me the command i will try it.

If I'm not wrong, these are the relevant kernel parameters you have to
add during grub/boot time. Of course please replace the n.n.n.n and X
with the correct values

ip=n.n.n.n netmask=n.n.n.n gateway=n.n.n.n dns=n.n.n.n hostname=X ksdevice=ethX

Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:59 AM, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install
>>> Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop or Ubuntu server 12.04 LTS using NFS so it is not
>>> working and getting me error = "unable to download kickstart file".
>>>
>>> mkdir -p /nfs/os/
>>> mkdir /mnt/iso/
>>> mount -t iso9660 /root/Desktop/Centos-64-DVD.iso /mnt/iso/ -o loop
>>> cp -Rp /mnt/iso/* /nfs/os/
>>
>> (http is more simple and reliable than nfs for kickstart installs)
>>
>> Anyway, you're installing CentOS, not Ubuntu...
>
> I am installing ubuntu.

Please don't top-post.

Clearly not since you're loop-mounting a CentOS DVD.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:40 AM, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have ubuntu 12.04 CD 1st i create ISO than /root/Desktop/Ubuntu.iso

That's not what you had in your first post; you must've just pasted a
CentOS kickstart file.

Regarding your kickstart file:

1) "firstboot --enable" is unlikely to work on debian/Ubuntu.

2) "network ..." will set the hostname to "kick seed" if you don't use
"--hostname=...".

3) You have to have a "user ..." line in order to create a user,
unless there's some way to inform kickstart to use an expert install
and to skip the creation of a regular user.

4) "rootpw ..." will enable root.

5) "nfs ..." shouldn't be pointing to your kickstart config.

Furthermore, you have to clarify whether the kernel line's "ks=..."
should be "ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg" or
"ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/os/ks.cfg".

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM
jiten jha

I am not getting what are you saying can you explain me. If you did that
so can you send me link so i will follow it.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 7/10/12, jiten jha <jitenjha11@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > can you send me the command i will try it.
>
> If I'm not wrong, these are the relevant kernel parameters you have to
> add during grub/boot time. Of course please replace the n.n.n.n and X
> with the correct values
>
> ip=n.n.n.n netmask=n.n.n.n gateway=n.n.n.n dns=n.n.n.n hostname=X
> ksdevice=ethX

Regards
Jitendra Jha