Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Jerry Geis

Default run fsck manually

Is there a way in centos to just go ahead and do this automatically?

/dev/sdal: Unexpected Inconsistency; [FAILED]

Run fsck Manually

(ie. Without –a or –p options)

***An error occurred during the File system check

***Dropping you to a shell; system will reboot when you leave the shell

Give root password for Maintenance

(or type Control-D to continue)

I have some remote stations - and if something goes wrong as it did,
I just want the fsck to be ran automatically and auto reboot

Can the behaviour be changed in a config file?

Jerry

Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Is there a way in centos to just go ahead and do this automatically?
>
> /dev/sdal: Unexpected Inconsistency; [FAILED]
>
> Run fsck Manually
>
> (ie. Without –a or –p options)
>
> ***An error occurred during the File system check
<snip>
a) fsck -y -C [-c] /dev/sda1 (-c will check for bad blocks; it will take a
*while*; run it overnight, or over dinner, or over the next looong
meeting)
b) Buy new disk, *now*, insert, rsync over.

mark

Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Nate Duehr

On Jul 9, 2012, at 12:03 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Jerry Geis wrote:
>> Is there a way in centos to just go ahead and do this automatically?
>>
>> /dev/sdal: Unexpected Inconsistency; [FAILED]
>>
>> Run fsck Manually
>>
>> (ie. Without –a or –p options)
>>
>> ***An error occurred during the File system check
> <snip>
> a) fsck -y -C [-c] /dev/sda1 (-c will check for bad blocks; it will take a
> *while*; run it overnight, or over dinner, or over the next looong
> meeting)
> b) Buy new disk, *now*, insert, rsync over.

He's not asking what to type at that point, he's asking how to keep the kernel from stopping at that point and just do the (possibly destructive, but often-times all that gets damaged/moved to lost+found, is open logs that were open when the system went down) fsck.

(Unfortunately I do not know the answer as to how to tell the initial fsck just to go ahead and do the destructive fsck pass, without human intervention, as I wouldn't want it to do that, but I see where the communication misunderstanding is happening in the e-mail chain.)

He's saying the desktop machines are "throwaway" and he doesn't want to take the time to go over and look... do the fsck and if it trashes the filesystem, he'll just re-image the machine later. Meanwhile, the user isn't confused by the fsck message or interrupted by it, if the machine finds filesystem problems at boot time.

I would assume this is often a desired behavior on machines that have poor AC power at remote sites. Give the fsck a try if I'm not there.

Nate

Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Nate Duehr <denverpilot@me.com> wrote:

> He's not asking what to type at that point, he's asking how to keep the kernel from stopping at that point and just do the (possibly destructive, but often-times all that gets damaged/moved to lost+found, is open logs that were open when the system went down) fsck.
>
> (Unfortunately I do not know the answer as to how to tell the initial fsck just to go ahead and do the destructive fsck pass, without human intervention, as I wouldn't want it to do that, but I see where the communication misunderstanding is happening in the e-mail chain.)
>
> He's saying the desktop machines are "throwaway" and he doesn't want to take the time to go over and look... do the fsck and if it trashes the filesystem, he'll just re-image the machine later. Meanwhile, the user isn't confused by the fsck message or interrupted by it, if the machine finds filesystem problems at boot time.
>
> I would assume this is often a desired behavior on machines that have poor AC power at remote sites. Give the fsck a try if I'm not there.

Answered a while back on the list:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2012-January/122777.html

--
Les Mikesell