Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 AM
"Scott R. Ehrlich"

Default Command to get tape capacity status?

I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an
out-of-box, full install of C5 install on an old PC.

I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change
tapes. What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how
much tape is left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to
know if the tape is bad or has run out of space.

I know of bacula, amanda, and other backup methods, but I prefer to use
the simplest options possible, mainly because if a hard drive failure
occurs, which has happened at the last minute, I can take the original
C5 media from CD, install it, and get back up and running in no time.

So, any way to inquire remaining tape status and [estimated] capacity?

Thanks.

Scott

Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Pierre Bourgin

Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an
out-of-box, full install of C5 install on an old PC.

I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change
tapes. What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how
much tape is left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to
know if the tape is bad or has run out of space.

you can retrieve the current block number with the comand if you're
using the non-rewind device:

tar cf /dev/nst0 file1 file2 .... # your tar command
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell # tell which is the current block

Pierre Bourgin

Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
"Scott R. Ehrlich"

Hello to all:

I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an out-of-box,
full install of CentOS 5 install on an old PC.

I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change tapes.
What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how much tape is
left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to know if the tape is
bad or has run out of space.

I know of bacula, amanda, and other backup methods, but I prefer to use the
simplest options possible, mainly because if a hard drive failure occurs, which
has happened at the last minute, I can take the original CentOS 5 media from

Old 04-12-2008, 01:14 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:

Hello to all:

I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an
out-of-box, full install of CentOS 5 install on an old PC.

I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change
tapes. What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how
much tape is left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to
know if the tape is bad or has run out of space.

I know of bacula, amanda, and other backup methods, but I prefer to use
the simplest options possible, mainly because if a hard drive failure
occurs, which has happened at the last minute, I can take the original
CentOS 5 media from CD, install it, and get back up and running in no time.

So, any way to inquire remaining tape status and [estimated] capacity?

Thanks.

Scott

Have you looked at the mt command from the mt-st package?

Mikkel

Old 04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
"Scott R. Ehrlich"

I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an out-of-box,
full install of CentOS 5 install on an old PC.

I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change
tapes. What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how much
tape is left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to know if
the tape is bad or has run out of space.

I know of bacula, amanda, and other backup methods, but I prefer to use the
simplest options possible, mainly because if a hard drive failure occurs,
which has happened at the last minute, I can take the original CentOS 5
media from CD, install it, and get back up and running in no time.

So, any way to inquire remaining tape status and [estimated] capacity?

Thanks.

Scott

Have you looked at the mt command from the mt-st package?

Yes I have. I guess I should look into playing with its eom option.

Additional insights always welcome.

Thanks.

Scott

Mikkel

Old 04-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 12Apr2008 08:43, Scott R. Ehrlich <scott@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an out-of-box,
> full install of CentOS 5 install on an old PC.
> I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change
> tapes. What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how much
> tape is left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to know if
> the tape is bad or has run out of space.

These should get different error statuses - I/O error versus end of
medium ("no space left on device").

Regarding how much is left, I'm not sure that's easily determinable. I
do recall seeing a command to obtain the tape data density (if reported
by the drive), but you would still need to track how much you've written
to figure out the rest. And guess at the compression rate, for
compressing tape drives.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

But pessimism IS realism! - D.L.Bahr

Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Fred Erickson

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 08:42 -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> Hello to all:
>
> I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an out-of-box,
> full install of CentOS 5 install on an old PC.
>
> I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change tapes.
> What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how much tape is
> left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to know if the tape is
> bad or has run out of space.
>
> I know of bacula, amanda, and other backup methods, but I prefer to use the
> simplest options possible, mainly because if a hard drive failure occurs, which
> has happened at the last minute, I can take the original CentOS 5 media from
> CD, install it, and get back up and running in no time.
>
> So, any way to inquire remaining tape status and [estimated] capacity?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

I am answering your message only because no one else has. My knowledge
of Overland tape systems is very limited - I have only worked on some of
the Neo series hardware on M$ servers - never had to use them on a day
to day basis.

Seems to me that if you are concerned with an individual tape, the
system isn't working properly. It should mark a defective tape as bad
and move on to the next tape in the library. This is a link to one of
Overlands IBM AIX pages - don't know if you have seen it or if anything
there may help you.

http://support.overlandstorage.com/jive/entry.jspa?externalID=6336&categoryID=407

I believe Overland has decent support, although at what cost I don't
know.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Nigel Wade

Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:

Hello to all:

I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an
out-of-box, full install of CentOS 5 install on an old PC.

I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change
tapes. What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how
much tape is left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to
know if the tape is bad or has run out of space.

I know of bacula, amanda, and other backup methods, but I prefer to use
the simplest options possible, mainly because if a hard drive failure
occurs, which has happened at the last minute, I can take the original
CentOS 5 media from CD, install it, and get back up and running in no time.

So, any way to inquire remaining tape status and [estimated] capacity?

Thanks.

Scott

AFIAK there is no command within Linux to determine the capacity of a
tape. Probably because there is no general/generic way of doing this, if
it is possible at all.

Some tape drives are capable, if you send them the right SCSI command,
of reporting the remaining capacity. Whether your tape drive can do
that, and the exact command needed to get that information, would
require detailed knowledge of the SCSI command set it supports. Unless
you have that information it's very unlikely you'll be able to get what
you want.

E-mail : nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555