-   -   bind: root hints named.ca and named.root (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/680583-bind-root-hints-named-ca-named-root.html)

Michael McNulty 07-06-2012 12:47 AM

bind: root hints named.ca and named.root

For 6.x I have both of these files in my /var/named directory, probably copied when upgraded. named.ca date inside the file is dated 2008 and named.root is from a few months ago.

Am I correct in assuming that named.ca is old and that I should be using named.root in my named.conf files? Is it SOP to use the latest from ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/named.root

thx

-- Mike

Lars Hecking 07-06-2012 07:54 AM

Michael McNulty writes:

> For 6.x I have both of these files in my /var/named directory, probably copied when upgraded. named.ca date inside the file is dated 2008 and named.root is from a few months ago.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that named.ca is old and that I should be using named.root in my named.conf files? Is it SOP to use the latest from ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/named.root

It's not needed. The root hints are builtin in bind9. You only need the file
from internic if there are changes to the root servers, which IIRC happened
once in the past few years, and can't wait until $distro updates bind.