-   -   Strange alterations to vim and related packages on KVM host (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/680088-strange-alterations-vim-related-packages-kvm-host.html)

John Doe 07-04-2012 02:53 PM

Strange alterations to vim and related packages on KVM host

From: James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>

> Yesterday git status reported that the following files had changed
> since the previous commit:
> #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gdb
> #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gvim
> #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/vim
>
> #* * * modified:* ../etc/virsh.run
> #* * * modified:* .Xauthority
> #* * * modified:* .bash_history
> #* * * modified:* ../selinux/policy
> #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gdb
> #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gvim
> #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/vim
> #
> When I check the differences git simply reports that the binary files
> are difference but, after I reinstalled them all yesterday I noted
> that the file modification times of the replaced files and their
> respective reinstalled files were the same but their file sizes were
> not.

Did you rpm verify?
# rpm -qV vim-enhanced
# rpm -qV gdb
Did you diff the text files?
Did you "binary diff" the binaries?
How many bytes difference? constant number?

JD

fred smith 07-04-2012 02:58 PM

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 07:53:09AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
> From: James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
>
> > Yesterday git status reported that the following files had changed
> > since the previous commit:
> > #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gdb
> > #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gvim
> > #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/vim
> >
> > #* * * modified:* ../etc/virsh.run
> > #* * * modified:* .Xauthority
> > #* * * modified:* .bash_history
> > #* * * modified:* ../selinux/policy
> > #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gdb
> > #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/gvim
> > #* * * modified:* ../usr/bin/vim
> > #
> > When I check the differences git simply reports that the binary files
> > are difference but, after I reinstalled them all yesterday I noted
> > that the file modification times of the replaced files and their
> > respective reinstalled files were the same but their file sizes were
> > not.
>
> Did you rpm verify?
> # rpm -qV vim-enhanced
> # rpm -qV gdb
> Did you diff the text files?
> Did you "binary diff" the binaries?
> How many bytes difference? constant number?
>
> JD

prelink???

The Lord is like a strong tower.

John Doe 07-04-2012 03:51 PM

Strange alterations to vim and related packages on KVM host

From: fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 07:53:09AM -0700, John Doe wrote:
>> From: James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
>> > Yesterday git status reported that the following files had changed
>> > since the previous commit:
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../usr/bin/gdb
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../usr/bin/gvim
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../usr/bin/vim
>> >
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../etc/virsh.run
>> > #* * ** modified:** .Xauthority
>> > #* * ** modified:** .bash_history
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../selinux/policy
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../usr/bin/gdb
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../usr/bin/gvim
>> > #* * ** modified:** ../usr/bin/vim
>> > #
>> > When I check the differences git simply reports that the binary files
>> > are difference but, after I reinstalled them all yesterday I noted
>> > that the file modification times of the replaced files and their
>> > respective reinstalled files were the same but their file sizes were
>> > not.
>>
>> Did you rpm verify?
>> # rpm -qV vim-enhanced
>> # rpm -qV gdb
>> Did you diff the text files?
>> Did you "binary diff" the binaries?
>> How many bytes difference? constant number?
>
> prelink???

I do not think prelink would alter text configuration files like .Xauthority or .bash_history

JD