Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Default after last update google-chrome no runs anymore

Hello Gary,

Not sure if this is related, but it is the only thing sticking out:

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 01:24 +0300, Gary Trotcko wrote:
> libbz2.so.1.0 => not found

bzip2-libs only provides libbz2.so.1 and libbz2.so.1.0.4, not
libbz2.sos.1.0. bzip2-devel doesn't provide it either, nor does any
other package.

If you haven't installed bzip2-libs install it. If you still see that
"libbz2 not found" try (assuming you're on i386):
# cd /lib
# ln -s libbz2.so.1.0.4 libbz2.so.1.0

and see if that makes a difference.

Since CentOS uses an unaltered SRPM for bzip2 you can be pretty sure Red
Hat does not provide that link either. Which means that dependency is a
"chromism", i.e. a bug in Chrome, possibly due to a build system with a
modified bzip2.

You could also try booting a stock kernel, not a centosplus one.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Gary Trotcko

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Leonard den Ottolander
<leonard@den.ottolander.nl> wrote:
> Hello Gary,
>
> Not sure if this is related, but it is the only thing sticking out:
>
> On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 01:24 +0300, Gary Trotcko wrote:
>> libbz2.so.1.0 => not found
>
> bzip2-libs only provides libbz2.so.1 and libbz2.so.1.0.4, not
> libbz2.sos.1.0. bzip2-devel doesn't provide it either, nor does any
> other package.
>
> If you haven't installed bzip2-libs install it. If you still see that
> "libbz2 not found" try (assuming you're on i386):
> # cd /lib
> # ln -s libbz2.so.1.0.4 libbz2.so.1.0
>
> and see if that makes a difference.
>
> Since CentOS uses an unaltered SRPM for bzip2 you can be pretty sure Red
> Hat does not provide that link either. Which means that dependency is a
> "chromism", i.e. a bug in Chrome, possibly due to a build system with a
> modified bzip2.
>
> You could also try booting a stock kernel, not a centosplus one.

The bzip2-libs is installed at my system but libbz2.so.1.0 didn't
exist so I've created symlink and it hasn't effect:
$ ldd /opt/google/chrome/chrome | grep libbz
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
libbz2.so.1.0 => /lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x001af000)

--
Best Regards,
Gary Trotcko

Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Gary,

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 11:46 +0300, Gary Trotcko wrote:
> The bzip2-libs is installed at my system but libbz2.so.1.0 didn't
> exist so I've created symlink and it hasn't effect:
> $ ldd /opt/google/chrome/chrome | grep libbz
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
> available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
> available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
> libbz2.so.1.0 => /lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x001af000)

Ok, so adding that symlink does not make Chrome happy to the point where
it starts working? Still that requirement is a bug and suggests that
google uses an unclean (i.e. patched) build system, not a stock RHEL or
CentOS.

As people pointed out that libz warning in itself is probably harmless.

All that is left is to repeat my advise: If the suggestions given here
do not fix your issue you might want to take it to a Chrome specific
list. If you do take your issue there, please mention the bogus
requirement on libbz2.so.1.0 and point out that that link is *not*
available on stock CentOS 6 (and in all likeliness neither on RHEL 6)
systems.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM
James Pearson

Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Gary,
>
> On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 11:46 +0300, Gary Trotcko wrote:
>
>>The bzip2-libs is installed at my system but libbz2.so.1.0 didn't
>>exist so I've created symlink and it hasn't effect:
>>$ ldd /opt/google/chrome/chrome | grep libbz
>>/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
>>available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
>>/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
>>available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
>> libbz2.so.1.0 => /lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x001af000)
>

> Ok, so adding that symlink does not make Chrome happy to the point where
> it starts working? Still that requirement is a bug and suggests that
> google uses an unclean (i.e. patched) build system, not a stock RHEL or
> CentOS.
>
> As people pointed out that libz warning in itself is probably harmless.
>
> All that is left is to repeat my advise: If the suggestions given here
> do not fix your issue you might want to take it to a Chrome specific
> list. If you do take your issue there, please mention the bogus
> requirement on libbz2.so.1.0 and point out that that link is *not*
> available on stock CentOS 6 (and in all likeliness neither on RHEL 6)
> systems.

The google-chrome-stable RPM creates the symlink
/opt/google/chrome/libbz2.so.1.0 to /lib/libbz2.so.1 - and the
google-chrome wrapper sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /opt/google/chrome
- so chrome finds libbz2.so.1.0 without a problem.

i.e. there isn't a problem with either libbz2.so.1.0 or libz.so.1

If chrome is not starting, then there is probably another issue - you
could try moving the preferences/profile out of the way - e.g.

cd $HOME/.config
mv google-chrome google-chrome.save

and try again

If that doesn't help, try running chrome through strace and see if that
gives any clues ...

James Pearson

Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 07/03/2012 09:21 AM, Gary Trotcko wrote:
> Hi all. I've updated google-chrome to recent version and it gets
> unbooted, when I fired google-chrome up I got messages like these:
> /usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
> available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
> /usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
> available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
> available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
> available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
>
> I'm familiar with selinux bug[1] and my issue is similar for this, but
> selinux in my system is completely disabled. I've opened issue at
> chrome's bug tracker[2] but not recived conceived response yet. Is
> anyone here who experienced the same problem?
>
> $ google-chrome --version
> 20.0.1132.47
>
> $ cat /etc/centos-release
> CentOS release 6.2 (Final)
>
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.centos.plus.i686
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep zlib
> zlib-1.2.3-27.el6.i686
>
> $ getenforce
> Disabled

For what it's worth, I am running that version of chrome:

google-chrome-stable-20.0.1132.47-144678.x86_64

On x86_64 and I have no issues whatsoever.

I have:

zlib-1.2.3-27.el6.x86_64

that provides:

/lib64/libz.so.1

Make sure the zlib that you have provides /lib/libz.so.1

Old 07-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Giovanni Tirloni

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I am running that version of chrome:
>
> google-chrome-stable-20.0.1132.47-144678.x86_64
>
> On x86_64 and I have no issues whatsoever.
>
> I have:
>
> zlib-1.2.3-27.el6.x86_64
>
> that provides:
>
> /lib64/libz.so.1
>
> Make sure the zlib that you have provides /lib/libz.so.1

Same here.

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.3 (Santiago)
$ uname -a
Linux gtirloni 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 20 01:32:12 EDT 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I would change that /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome shell script and make
chrome run through strace to see what's going on.

--
Giovanni

Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Gary Trotcko

The upgrade to CentOS 6.3 has fixed the issue with my google-chrome.
Thanks a lot for all.

--
Best Regards,
Gary Trotcko