-   -   Good tool to draw server room? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/679654-good-tool-draw-server-room.html)

Rafał Radecki 07-03-2012 11:41 AM

Good tool to draw server room?

Hi all.

I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
recommend?

Best regards,
Rafal Radecki.

John Doe 07-03-2012 11:50 AM

Good tool to draw server room?

From: Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>

> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
> recommend?

On Windows or OS X, I like sketchup...
Otherwise you have Blender, but the learning curve might be high.
You also have some online "room planners".

JD

John R Pierce 07-03-2012 11:53 AM

On 07/03/12 4:41 AM, Rafał Radecki wrote:
> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
> recommend?

DIA is usable for 2D room layouts, also rack layouts.

3D modeling is a lot of work.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Warren Young 07-03-2012 12:30 PM

On 7/3/2012 5:50 AM, John Doe wrote:
> From: Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>
>
>> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
>> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
>> recommend?
>
> On Windows or OS X, I like sketchup...

Agreed. SketchUp is about as easy as 3D gets. I like to start models
in SketchUp, even if they get finished elsewhere. For your purposes,
you probably won't need what I'd call "finishing." Plus, you probably
won't need more than the free version of SketchUp.

Though, LayOut would be pretty useful for this project. Think of it,
Rafał, as a lightweight 2D CAD companion to SketchUp. You'd start the
project in 3D, then if you decide later you need dimensioned plan
drawings, you could whip them out quickly in LayOut.

> Otherwise you have Blender, but the learning curve might be high.

So much so that only one who hadn't used both would think of them as
being in the same class. It's like comparing bullet trains and
rocketships; both cool, both transportation, yet still totally
unrelated. CAD and VFX overlap in about the same sort of way.

Think of Blender as an option when/if you decide you need your SketchUp
model needs to be photorealistically rendered, and smoothly animated,
and have 3D virtual characters interact with it, and be composited with
live footage, and have physically accurate simulated clouds and water
flowing through it, and...

Fernando Cassia 07-03-2012 12:35 PM

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
> recommend?

http://www.sweethome3d.com/index.jsp

Great app, cross-platform Java.
worth a try...

FC

Les Mikesell 07-03-2012 12:38 PM

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
> recommend?

If you are just interested in racks and their contents, racktables
might work: http://racktables.org/. It is more of an inventory
system with location information that does the visualization for you
than a drawing tool though. Also, if you use a tool that can save a
png image you can use nagviz (also adapted to OpenNMS) to use it as a
more realistic background for a live status map.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Warren Young 07-03-2012 12:49 PM

On 7/3/2012 5:53 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> 3D modeling is a lot of work.

Only if you compare apples to oranges.

I do better with 3D because I can't draw, shade, color, or do
traditional animation worth a darn. I *can* build realistic models of
what I want, and I can also convince a computer to spit out a solid 2D
render from a 3D model.

Now, will it take me longer to do that than for a talented 2D artist to
draw it? Almost certainly. But my model is more flexible. I can
easily animate it, deform it, change camera angles...in 2D, you usually
have to redraw to make such full-scene changes.

Creating in 3D is sorta like graphically writing software to create 2D
output: the created artifact is as flexible as software, able to be
repurposed in the same sort of ways. 2D is almost chiseled in stone by
comparison. 3D gives you some advantages in the 2D world, too, what
with multi-pass layered output. (Basically, gives you the ability to
tweak a 2D static render element by element in a program like Photoshop
or Gimp, or a pile of 2D frames element by element in a compositor like
After Effects or Blender.)

Plus, a 2D artist might not be available. I work in a small company; we
wear a lot of hats. When the choice is "hire a 2D artist" vs "have
Warren do it in 3D" we tend to pick the latter.

Now, in certain narrow areas, I do myself still pick 2D. If I know
going in that what I need is a 2D isomorphic overhead plan drawing, I
might well do it in 2D, for example. But if I'm not sure that I might
not later need a 3D version for some reason -- say, figuring out A/C
placement for air flow before bringing contractors in -- it might be
worth doing it in 3D from the start.

Even if you never need the 3D model, adding the extra dimension forces
you to think through things you wouldn't consider until you're trying to
put together a pile of physical parts unboxed all over the floor.

Just my tuppence.

John Plemons 07-03-2012 01:23 PM

Good tool to draw server room?

Simple easy to use and free, go with PowerDraw.. It is easy to work
with, no long learning curve, and it works OK..

This should be a link to download it,

http://dl.cdn.chip.eu/downloads/83855/pdrawsetup_en.exe?cid=1175964&platform=dcu&1341321 254-1341328754-7cffed-B-f9a2a74a4c67b688e2a5ce76872bfb23.exe

If it doesn't work, then this link will find you a download point..

https://www.google.com/search?q=powewrdraw%20download

john

Mark LaPierre 07-03-2012 03:10 PM

On 07/03/2012 07:41 AM, Rafał Radecki wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
> recommend?
>
> Best regards,
> Rafal Radecki.

If you are working in Linux there are practically no 3D applications
available. I've searched repeatedly over the span of several years but
never found anything really flexible enough to do any real work with.
There are some great options if all you want is art work.

If 3D is an absolute requirement you could try Medusa4. Runs on CentOS
6.2 http://www.cad-schroer.com/ Medusa4, typical of all 3D CAD systems
that run on Linux, can render a 3D view of a 2D layout but has no 3D
layout capability. By that I mean that there is no way to set points in
3D space and then connect those points dot to dot with lines and or
curves. You're limited pretty much to orthogonal layout and drawing.

If you can live with 2D I recommend Qcad. They have a free community
edition as well as a professional version. I liked it so much that I
bought the commercial version. http://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/ They are
near to releasing version 3.0.

I've been using Qcad to aid in the design of a geodesic dome for a green
house that I'm designing. You want to look for an application that can
take commands from a command line, like Qcad can, not just by clicking
on icons.

--
_
°v°

Kahlil Hodgson 07-03-2012 10:41 PM

On 03/07/12 22:35, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am currently designing a server room. I would like to be able to draw a
>> 2D (in the future 3D) project. Do you know any tools? Which one can you
>> recommend?
>
> http://www.sweethome3d.com/index.jsp
>
> Great app, cross-platform Java.
> worth a try...

+1 to that
you get a 2D plan with dimension lines
plus a object list where you can specify properties (dimensions) precisely
plus a 3D representation you can spin around
plus it can generate relatively realistic photos and movie walk-throughs

Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382
DealMax Pty Ltd (w) +61 (0) 3 9008 5281

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer." -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925