Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Johan Jonkers

Default size of netinst iso

Hi.

I was wanting to set up a centos 6 virtual machine using the netinst iso
image. I've done this for Centos 5 before but I was surprised to see
that the size of the netinst iso had gone from +/- 10Mb to 227Mb. I was
therefore wondering if I had the right file? If so, why did it get 22x
bigger then the previous version?

Regards,

Johan

Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
John Doe

From: Johan Jonkers <johan@is-a-nut.net>
>I was wanting to set up a centos 6 virtual machine using the netinst iso
>image. I've done this for Centos 5 before but I was surprised to see
>that the size of the netinst iso had gone from +/- 10Mb to 227Mb. I was
>therefore wondering if I had the right file? If so, why did it get 22x
>bigger then the previous version?

If you actually look inside the ISO files...

5.8:
14M**** isolinux

6.2:
34M**** isolinux
360K*** images/efiboot.img
34M**** images/efidisk.img
130M*** images/install.img
34M**** images/pxeboot

JD

Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 07/03/2012 10:14 AM, Johan Jonkers wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wanting to set up a centos 6 virtual machine using the netinst iso
> image. I've done this for Centos 5 before but I was surprised to see
> that the size of the netinst iso had gone from +/- 10Mb to 227Mb. I was
> therefore wondering if I had the right file? If so, why did it get 22x
> bigger then the previous version?

The difference ist that the second installer stage has been included in the
iso. As a result you only need this iso to boot into rescue mode.
With the old Centos 5 iso you could boot it but in order to do anything you
had to first have to connect to a mirror to get the second installer stage.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 07/03/2012 03:14 AM, Johan Jonkers wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wanting to set up a centos 6 virtual machine using the netinst iso
> image. I've done this for Centos 5 before but I was surprised to see
> that the size of the netinst iso had gone from +/- 10Mb to 227Mb. I was
> therefore wondering if I had the right file? If so, why did it get 22x
> bigger then the previous version?

Also, when comparing MAJOR versions of CentOS (that is 5.x to 6.x)
please remember that there is a fairly major time difference between
these releases when compared to other non-enterprise Linux versions.
Doing 5.x to 6.x is like comparing Fedora 6 to Fedora 12. That is a
fairly big jump in technology.