-   -   leap second (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/678993-leap-second.html)

Bob Hoffman 07-01-2012 01:05 PM

leap second

--------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------

1 Time(s): Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC

Mogens Kjaer 07-01-2012 02:07 PM

leap second

On 07/01/2012 03:05 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------
>

> 1 Time(s): Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC
>
> ---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------
>
> hee hee.
>
> gotta love it....

My oracle database running on CentOS 6 didn't love it :-(

Some java processes were >100% CPU after the leap second was added.

Rebooting...

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Erez Zarum 07-01-2012 02:35 PM

leap second

You could have just done:
service ntpd stop; date -s "`date`"; service ntpd start
Fixed here without even stopping any jvm.

bob 07-01-2012 04:55 PM

leap second

On 7/1/2012 10:07 AM, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> On 07/01/2012 03:05 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>> --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------
>>

>> 1 Time(s): Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC
>>
>> ---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------
>>
>> hee hee.
>>
>> gotta love it....
> My oracle database running on CentOS 6 didn't love it :-(
>
> Some java processes were>100% CPU after the leap second was added.
>
> Rebooting...
>
> Mogens

Millions of dollars and years of lobbying by the RIAA and all it took
was a leap second to sink The Pirate Bay
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/101460/leap-second-crashes-the-pirate-bay/

Joseph Spenner 07-01-2012 09:18 PM

leap second

On 7/1/2012 10:07 AM, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> On 07/01/2012 03:05 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>* * --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------
>>

>>* * 1 Time(s): Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC
>>
>>* * ---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------
>>
>> hee hee.
>>
>> gotta love it....
> My oracle database running on CentOS 6 didn't love it :-(
>
> Some java processes were>100% CPU after the leap second was added.
>
> Rebooting...
>
> Mogens

I had a VM crash, but it was on an old 2.4 kernel.* I remember this happening last time with some older 2.4 systems.

07-01-2012 09:20 PM

leap second

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, Erez Zarum wrote:

> You could have just done:
> service ntpd stop; date -s "`date`"; service ntpd start
> Fixed here without even stopping any jvm.
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@lemo.dk> wrote:
>
>> On 07/01/2012 03:05 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>> --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------
>>>

>>> 1 Time(s): Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC
>>>
>>> ---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------
>>>
>>> hee hee.
>>>
>>> gotta love it....
>>
>> My oracle database running on CentOS 6 didn't love it :-(
>>
>> Some java processes were >100% CPU after the leap second was added.
>>
>> Rebooting...

The interesting thing to me is that my c5 systems just kept on ticking
but my c6 systems had the load go through the roof and fill the logs with
things like the following:

Jun 30 19:59:59 casper kernel: Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC
Jun 30 19:59:59 casper tgtd: work_timer_evt_handler(89) failed to read from timerfd, Resource temporarily unavailable

Tom me@tdiehl.org Spamtrap address me123@tdiehl.org

Peter Eckel 07-02-2012 07:21 AM

leap second

Hi Morgens,

> Some java processes were >100% CPU after the leap second was added.

same problem here ... OpenNMS hat 100% CPU and didn't do anything anymore.

Rebooting is not necessary, though. For me it worked to just set the time manually once, and everything was back to normal.

It doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea to insert a ':60' second - software that does proper sanity checks on date/time values is supposed to barf on that.

Peter.

Vitaliy Shevchuk 07-02-2012 07:51 AM

leap second

On 07/02/2012 10:21 AM, Peter Eckel wrote:
> Hi Morgens,
>
>> Some java processes were >100% CPU after the leap second was added.
> same problem here ... OpenNMS hat 100% CPU and didn't do anything anymore.
>
> Rebooting is not necessary, though. For me it worked to just set the time manually once, and everything was back to normal.
>
> It doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea to insert a ':60' second - software that does proper sanity checks on date/time values is supposed to barf on that.
>
> Peter.

Hello.

try execute:
date -s "`date -u`" && service ntpd restart

Michael Cronenworth 07-02-2012 03:25 PM

Leap Second

Hi all,

I recommend that anyone not familiar with the term "leap second" check
out all of their Linux systems. Most likely a piece of software is
running in an infinite loop due to the added second on July 1st. Your
system may also appear to be running normally but double-check your
system load to make sure it is less than 1.00. I had several affected
systems so Fedora was not ready (and I didn't bother to ready my systems).

If you have high system load there are two solutions:
1. Reboot, or...
2. Manually set the date with "date". Ex: "date 07021025" for July 2nd,
10:25 AM.

FYI,
Michael

Keith Roberts 07-02-2012 04:02 PM

leap second

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, me@tdiehl.org wrote:

> From: me@tdiehl.org
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] leap second
>
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, Erez Zarum wrote:
>
>> You could have just done:
>> service ntpd stop; date -s "`date`"; service ntpd start
>> Fixed here without even stopping any jvm.

I thought this was some sort of late April fools joke,
untill I read the article about ntpd on slashdot.

My Centos 5.8 box is running ntpd, and I did not notice any
problems with it. I do a weekly yum update early Sunday
mornings, but AFAIR I have not rebooted the box yet.

Checking qps, it tells me the uptime is 4 days 23hours, 53
minutes.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites: