Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Tair Sabirgaliev

Default kernel-debuginfo

Hi!

I'm trying systemtap on CentOS 6.2 kernel-2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64. My
problem is that I can't find kernel-debuginfo... corresponding to my kernel
version.

The systemtap docs suggest rebuilding the kernel from sources, but it looks
like I will have to install my own kernel, which is not acceptable on the
production machine.

Where can I find the debuginfo for the latest CentOS kernel?

Thanks!

--

Tair Sabirgaliev
"BEE Software" Ltd.

Republic of Kazakhstan, 010000
Astana, Kabanbay Batyr str. 6/5, office 1

Tel.: +7 (7172) 92-64-99
Mob.: +7 (702) 2173359
e-mail: tair.sabirgaliev@bee.kz

Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/26/2012 08:17 AM, Tair Sabirgaliev wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying systemtap on CentOS 6.2 kernel-2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64. My
> problem is that I can't find kernel-debuginfo... corresponding to my kernel
> version.
>
> The systemtap docs suggest rebuilding the kernel from sources, but it looks
> like I will have to install my own kernel, which is not acceptable on the
> production machine.
>
> Where can I find the debuginfo for the latest CentOS kernel?
>
> Thanks!

kernel-debug is included in the repos, you should be able to get that in
the same place as you got the kernel rpms from, using the same mechanism.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Tair Sabirgaliev

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>wrote:

> On 06/26/2012 08:17 AM, Tair Sabirgaliev wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying systemtap on CentOS 6.2 kernel-2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64. My
> > problem is that I can't find kernel-debuginfo... corresponding to my
> kernel
> > version.
> >
> > The systemtap docs suggest rebuilding the kernel from sources, but it
> looks
> > like I will have to install my own kernel, which is not acceptable on the
> > production machine.
> >
> > Where can I find the debuginfo for the latest CentOS kernel?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> kernel-debug is included in the repos, you should be able to get that in
> the same place as you got the kernel rpms from, using the same mechanism.

I'm very sorry, now I see it's there, but I can swear, it wasn't yesterday
Thanks!

> --
> Karanbir Singh
> +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
> ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
> GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc

с уважением,

Таир Сабыргалиев
ТОО "BEE Software"

*еспублика Казахстан, 010000
г.Астана, ул.Кабанбай батыра 6/5, офис 1
Тел.: +7 (7172) 92-64-99
Сот.: +7 (702) 2173359

Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/26/2012 09:30 AM, Tair Sabirgaliev wrote:
>>> I'm trying systemtap on CentOS 6.2 kernel-2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64. My
>>> problem is that I can't find kernel-debuginfo... corresponding to my
>> kernel
>> kernel-debug is included in the repos, you should be able to get that in
>> the same place as you got the kernel rpms from, using the same mechanism.
> I'm very sorry, now I see it's there, but I can swear, it wasn't yesterday
> Thanks!

that is strange, the kernel-debug is released at the same time as the
kernels are . Also,

1) trim your replies to a mailing list
2) do you really need a 21 line signature for every email you post here ?

thanks

Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Peter Kjellstrm

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 08.25.35 Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 08:17 AM, Tair Sabirgaliev wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying systemtap on CentOS 6.2 kernel-2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64. My
> > problem is that I can't find kernel-debuginfo... corresponding to my
> > kernel
> > version.
> > Where can I find the debuginfo for the latest CentOS kernel?
> kernel-debug is included in the repos, you should be able to get that in
> the same place as you got the kernel rpms from, using the same mechanism.

Note that kernel-debug contains a debug version of the normal kernel NOT
debuginfo for the normal kernel.

debuginfo for the normal kernel is named kernel-debuginfo (and kernel-
debuginfo-common) and is only available on vault/debuginfo (and some select
mirrors like mirror.nsc.liu.se/centos-debuginfo).

...there is even debuginfo for the -debug kernel and this is (not
surprisingly) named kernel-debug-debuginfo[-common..].

/Peter