Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Gene Heskett

Default Python version fights.

Greets;

This centos6.2 system seems to have python-2.6.6, but that is turning into
a huge problem because I now have a backlog of about 40 packages that will
not upgrade because they all need python 2.4.

That, and importing gpg keys doesn't seem to be helping in that regard.

But first, how to go about down grading python to 2.4?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It is not every question that deserves an answer.
-- Publilius Syrus

Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Chris Geldenhuis

On 06/24/2012 02:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greets;
>
> This centos6.2 system seems to have python-2.6.6, but that is turning into
> a huge problem because I now have a backlog of about 40 packages that will
> not upgrade because they all need python 2.4.
>
> That, and importing gpg keys doesn't seem to be helping in that regard.
>
> But first, how to go about down grading python to 2.4?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene
Hi Gene,

Down grading to Python 2.4 will break your CentOS 6.2 system. Rather
install python 2.4 side by side with 2.6 and
point the packages that need to use 2.4 to it by changing the first line
in the scripts to #!/usr/bin/python2.4 instead of #!/usr/bin/python.

I have had to do this the other way around on CentOS nad Red Hat 4
systems where I needed newer features and it work well.

The instructions on how to do this are included in the tarball
downloaded from the Python site.

ChrisG

Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 24 June 2012 03:06:14 Chris Geldenhuis did opine:

> On 06/24/2012 02:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greets;
> >
> > This centos6.2 system seems to have python-2.6.6, but that is turning
> > into a huge problem because I now have a backlog of about 40 packages
> > that will not upgrade because they all need python 2.4.
> >
> > That, and importing gpg keys doesn't seem to be helping in that
> > regard.
> >
> > But first, how to go about down grading python to 2.4?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Down grading to Python 2.4 will break your CentOS 6.2 system. Rather
> install python 2.4 side by side with 2.6 and
> point the packages that need to use 2.4 to it by changing the first line
> in the scripts to #!/usr/bin/python2.4 instead of #!/usr/bin/python.
>
> I have had to do this the other way around on CentOS nad Red Hat 4
> systems where I needed newer features and it work well.
>
> The instructions on how to do this are included in the tarball
> downloaded from the Python site.
>
> ChrisG

This is not something that is available via yum?

In which case why do I have 30 or 40 packages that are being called
security updates, released in the last week, that still need the older
python? Something doesn't grok here. Like maybe I have the wrong repos
enabled?

Maybe, a yum repolist says rpmfusion is for el5, maybe that is what I need
to fix. How?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Mr. Rockford? You don't know me, but I'd like to hire you. Could
you call me at... My name is... uh... Never mind, forget it!
-- "The Rockford Files"

Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Veli-Pekka Kestilš

On 24.6.2012 10:12, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2012 03:06:14 Chris Geldenhuis did opine:
>
>> On 06/24/2012 02:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Greets;
>>>
>>> This centos6.2 system seems to have python-2.6.6, but that is turning
>>> into a huge problem because I now have a backlog of about 40 packages
>>> that will not upgrade because they all need python 2.4.
>>>
> This is not something that is available via yum?
>
> In which case why do I have 30 or 40 packages that are being called
> security updates, released in the last week, that still need the older
> python? Something doesn't grok here. Like maybe I have the wrong repos
> enabled?
>
> Maybe, a yum repolist says rpmfusion is for el5, maybe that is what I need
> to fix. How?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Remove your old rpmfusion repository package for el5, and follow the
instruction in http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/ to install the new one.

After that you should remove all el5 packages which were installer from
rpmfusion for el5.

-vpk

Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 24 June 2012 07:25:21 Veli-Pekka Kestilš did opine:

> On 24.6.2012 10:12, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > This is not something that is available via yum?
> >
> > In which case why do I have 30 or 40 packages that are being called
> > security updates, released in the last week, that still need the older
> > python? Something doesn't grok here. Like maybe I have the wrong
> > repos enabled?
> >
> > Maybe, a yum repolist says rpmfusion is for el5, maybe that is what I
> > need to fix. How?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Remove your old rpmfusion repository package for el5, and follow the
> instruction in http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/ to install the new
> one.
Attempting that get this in an error box:
The name org.freedesktop.PackageKit was not provided by any .service files

But I believe it did download the file(s).
However, doing the command line version also threw some errors:
Revealing that the epel is set for 5.4. Hard to find the correct linkage
instructs, they are quite a few entries down from the top google hits when
searching.

Its an hour later, and I have installed and renamed the rpmnew's, even
nuked a few packages it downloaded but couldn't install, and on a restart,
yum is still showing me 21 packages to update, all from an el5 repo. There
is not any file surviving in yum.repos.d that contains a reference to el5,
so where is that cache being held so I can nuke it?

Thanks.

> After that you should remove all el5 packages which were installer from
> rpmfusion for el5.
>
> -vpk

The only file that had an el5 mark was adobe's flash plugin, which didn't
work in konqerer anyway, so I changed the pref to firefox because it did
work there. But I had yum nuke it anyway.

Thanks & Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: offline
>From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back.
That is the point that must be reached.
-- F. Kafka

Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Gene,

On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 08:40 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> yum is still showing me 21 packages to update, all from an el5 repo.

You can figure out what repo that is by "rpm -qi"ing one of the packages
that is causing you trouble. Remove all offending packages, then remove
the repo rpm (rpm -e rpmforge-release or epel-release or even another
one, that is for you to figure out).

After you got rid of the offending packages and repo-release you can now
install the correct repo-release for the OS version you are using and
add the packages you just removed.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 24 June 2012 12:43:23 Leonard den Ottolander did opine:

> Hello Gene,
>
> On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 08:40 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > yum is still showing me 21 packages to update, all from an el5 repo.
>
> You can figure out what repo that is by "rpm -qi"ing one of the packages
> that is causing you trouble. Remove all offending packages, then remove
> the repo rpm (rpm -e rpmforge-release or epel-release or even another
> one, that is for you to figure out).
>
> After you got rid of the offending packages and repo-release you can now
> install the correct repo-release for the OS version you are using and
> add the packages you just removed.
>
> Regards,
> Leonard.

There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the .repo
files of yum.repos.d

But if I fire up yumex, well over half the files presented say they are el5
coming from rpmfusion, but my rpmfusion .repo's are all set for el-6 as can
be seen by this:

[root@coyote yum.repos.d]# grep el rpmfusion-*.repo
rpmfusion-free-
updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/6/$basearch/
rpmfusion-free-
updates.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-
el-updates-released-6&arch=$basearch
rpmfusion-free-updates.repo:gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-
rpmfusion-free-el-6
rpmfusion-free-
updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/6/$basearch/debug/
rpmfusion-free-
updates.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-
el-updates-released-debug-6&arch=$basearch
updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/6/SRPMS/
rpmfusion-free-
updates.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-
el-updates-released-source-6&arch=$basearch
rpmfusion-free-updates.repo:gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-
rpmfusion-free-el-6
rpmfusion-free-updates-
testing.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/testing/6/$basearch/
rpmfusion-free-updates-
testing.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-
el-updates-testing-6&arch=$basearch
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo:gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-
KEY-rpmfusion-free-el-6
rpmfusion-free-updates-
testing.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/testing/6/$basearch/debug/
rpmfusion-free-updates-
testing.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-
el-updates-testing-debug-6&arch=$basearch
testing.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/testing/6/SRPMS/
rpmfusion-free-updates-
testing.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-
el-updates-testing-source-6&arch=$basearch
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo:gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-
KEY-rpmfusion-free-el-6
rpmfusion-nonfree-
updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/updates/testing/6/$basearch/
rpmfusion-nonfree-
updates.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-
el-updates-testing-6&arch=$basearch
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo:gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-
rpmfusion-nonfree-el-6
rpmfusion-nonfree-
updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/updates/testing/6/$basearch/debug/
updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/updates/testing/6/SRPMS/
nonfree.updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/updates/6/$basearch/
nonfree.updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/updates/6/$basearch/debug/
nonfree.updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/updates/6/SRPMS/
rpmfusion-
nonfree.updates.repo:mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-
el-updates-released-source-6&arch=$basearch
rpmfusion-nonfree.updates.repo:gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-
rpmfusion-nonfree-el-6

But I don't see anything but el-6 above. So something is well and truly
knackered. The question is what?

Thanks & Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Senate, n.:
A body of elderly gentlemen charged with high duties and
misdemeanors.
-- Ambrose Bierce

Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Gene,

On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 12:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the .repo
> files of yum.repos.d
>
> But if I fire up yumex, well over half the files presented say they are el5
> coming from rpmfusion,

Those two statements seem contradictory. Did you actually query those
packages to establish their origin?

So you tell us you only have el6 repos enabled. Perhaps someone
installed the offending packages manually or accidentally used the wrong
repo before? Get rid of the offending ones and reinstall using the
correct repo.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Tony Schreiner

On 6/24/2012 12:55 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2012 12:43:23 Leonard den Ottolander did opine:
>
>> Hello Gene,
>>
>> On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 08:40 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> yum is still showing me 21 packages to update, all from an el5 repo.
>> You can figure out what repo that is by "rpm -qi"ing one of the packages
>> that is causing you trouble. Remove all offending packages, then remove
>> the repo rpm (rpm -e rpmforge-release or epel-release or even another
>> one, that is for you to figure out).
>>
>> After you got rid of the offending packages and repo-release you can now
>> install the correct repo-release for the OS version you are using and
>> add the packages you just removed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Leonard.
>>
> There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the .repo
> files of yum.repos.d
>
> But if I fire up yumex, well over half the files presented say they are el5
> coming from rpmfusion, but my rpmfusion .repo's are all set for el-6 as can
> be seen by this:
>
> [root@coyote yum.repos.d]# grep el rpmfusion-*.repo
> rpmfusion-free-
> updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el

> But I don't see anything but el-6 above. So something is well and truly
> knackered. The question is what?
>
> Thanks & Cheers, Gene

yum clean all
might help you.
Tony Schreiner

Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the .repo
> files of yum.repos.d

Did you use yum to remove the packages?

--
Les Mikesell