Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Gene Heskett

Default Python version fights.

On Sunday 24 June 2012 16:48:31 Leonard den Ottolander did opine:

> Hello Gene,
>
> On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 12:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the
> > .repo files of yum.repos.d
> >
> > But if I fire up yumex, well over half the files presented say they
> > are el5 coming from rpmfusion,
>
> Those two statements seem contradictory. Did you actually query those
> packages to establish their origin?
>
> So you tell us you only have el6 repos enabled. Perhaps someone
> installed the offending packages manually or accidentally used the wrong
> repo before? Get rid of the offending ones and reinstall using the
> correct repo.

That 'someone' would likely be me, and no I didn't qi each package because
there are no *.el-5* packages now installed. These are the packages it is
showing me that I _could_ install, and nearly every blessed one of them has
a dependency on python-2.4. Why yumex is even showing me el5 files is a
puzzle I'm apparently not equipt to sort, it may as well be a basket of
rattlesnakes. You could probably say I'm getting too old for this at 77,
but I'm a retired broadcast CE, one who quit school at 14 and went out to
fix these newfangled things called tv's in the later '40's, and have had a
scope probe or four and a hot soldering iron handy ever since. Generally,
electronics holds no puzzles for me, and I've had a C.E.T. since '72, and a
1st phone since '61.

I see what someone meant when they said centos was a stripped mostly server
distro. Trying to nail kde and a working audio system to it reminds me of
trying to nail jelly to a tree, everything you try to install winds up
splattered on the floor.

So I've saved off my email corpus, and just burned a ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc
install cd, so by this time tomorrow I should have the same distro on all 4
machines here. Opencascade-libs, which supports all the cad design proggys
like freecad, heekscad/cnc, openscam and a few others seem to be only built
in .debs, so while I don't exactly love how ubuntu handles networking or
its gui, once you get it configured, it Just Works(TM), including nfs
shares, something I had a heck of a time making work on pclos. With the
same config files installed here on centos6, nfs is dead, no hits, no runs
& no errors logged.

> Regards,
> Leonard.

Thanks for the reply Leonard, but I don't think centos and I will be able
to be friends when yum is so easily confused. With synaptic, I might give
it another week just in case I could sort this out. Synaptic for instance,
when it encounters a dependency, looks it up and says 'you need these
packages to resolve dependencies', shows you a list and asks if its ok to
add them to the install list. Yum just reports the failure and does a
segfault like exit, exactly as it was doing when I bailed out on fedora at
about F-8, several years ago now.

Cheers Leonard, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I just thought of something funny...your mother.
- Cheech Marin

Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 24 June 2012 17:27:09 Tony Schreiner did opine:

> On 6/24/2012 12:55 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 June 2012 12:43:23 Leonard den Ottolander did opine:

> >> You can figure out what repo that is by "rpm -qi"ing one of the
> >> packages that is causing you trouble. Remove all offending packages,
> >> then remove the repo rpm (rpm -e rpmforge-release or epel-release or
> >> even another one, that is for you to figure out).
> >>
> >> After you got rid of the offending packages and repo-release you can
> >> now install the correct repo-release for the OS version you are using
> >> and add the packages you just removed.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Leonard.
> >
> > There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the
> > .repo files of yum.repos.d
> >
> > But if I fire up yumex, well over half the files presented say they
> > are el5 coming from rpmfusion, but my rpmfusion .repo's are all set
> > for el-6 as can be seen by this:
> >
> > [root@coyote yum.repos.d]# grep el rpmfusion-*.repo
> > rpmfusion-free-
> > updates.repo:#baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el
> >
> > But I don't see anything but el-6 above. So something is well and
> > truly knackered. The question is what?
> >
> > Thanks & Cheers, Gene
>
> yum clean all
> might help you.
> Tony Schreiner

It did indeed Tony, thank you. Now it only showed me a fresh yumex and
python-kitchen. I installed those, quit it & restarted. but the stuffs I
need, like opencascade, still isn't showing in the ALL screen.

Cheers Tony & thanks, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a
fence.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 24 June 2012 17:31:40 Les Mikesell did opine:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the
> > .repo files of yum.repos.d
>
> Did you use yum to remove the packages?

Yes, except for the repo files in yum.repos.d, those I nuked with mc it it
had a reference to el-5 in it.

Cheers & thanks Les, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
...Deep Hack Mode -- that mysterious and frightening state of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread.
-- Matt Welsh

Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Gene,

On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 17:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> These are the packages it is
> showing me that I _could_ install, and nearly every blessed one of them has
> a dependency on python-2.4. Why yumex is even showing me el5 files is a
> puzzle I'm apparently not equipt to sort,

I'm not familiar with yumex, just using plain yum and rpm. Perhaps using
this non standard package manager is what is causing all your troubles.
Could it be yumex uses hard coded (or configurable) paths and you
installed a yumex for the wrong release? Where did you get that yumex
from? And why not use plain yum? You are fitting all sorts of things
onto a system that you are not familiar with, no wonder you meet a few
bumps ;-) .

> I see what someone meant when they said centos was a stripped mostly server
> distro.

It's a rebuild from Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is based on Fedora.
Since it's an enterprise distro it provides a limited range of packages
and they are rather dated to safeguard functional, ABI and API
compatibility for a period of 5 years.

You might want to give Fedora a try, it supports *way* more packages by
default, but I have to warn you that it used to come with the warning
that "it eats babies", in the sense that it's bleeding edge and might
have some rough edges.

> Trying to nail kde and a working audio system to it reminds me of
> trying to nail jelly to a tree, everything you try to install winds up
> splattered on the floor.

I suppose that's just fallout from the issue you are having, things like
this should work out of the box assuming your hardware is not too exotic
or too new. But you have to be careful about which 3rd party repos you
enable, which is probably true for any distro that supports those.

> With the
> same config files installed here on centos6, nfs is dead, no hits, no runs
> & no errors logged.

CentOS/RHEL make you start services explicitly instead of enabling
anything by default. Are both portmap and nfs running?

> Thanks for the reply Leonard, but I don't think centos and I will be able
> to be friends when yum is so easily confused.

yum != yumex . I'm quite sure one can screw up Ubuntu too, but if you're
more comfortable with Ubuntu then by any means use it.

> With synaptic, I might give
> it another week just in case I could sort this out. Synaptic for instance,
> when it encounters a dependency, looks it up and says 'you need these
> packages to resolve dependencies', shows you a list and asks if its ok to
> add them to the install list.

If your repos are set up correctly yum should behave in a similar way.
This is why yum was added on top of rpm. The reason yum bails out is
because it cannot find those dependencies in any of the repos as they
have incorrect versions. What is the cause of that is not clear to me
but something is insisting on looking at el5 repos and it's definitely
*not* any of the packages that come with CentOS 6 by default.

If you are still interested in getting CentOS 6 running I suggest you do
a clean install and only start adding 3rd party repos once you have the
system up and running.

Cheers,
Leonard.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Gene,

On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 12:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> There are no surviving el5 packages on the system, including in the .repo
> files of yum.repos.d

No _surviving_ el5 packages. So you *did* have el5 repos enabled earlier
on? Perhaps yumex is caching that old configuration. Just a guess. As I
said, I have no experience with yumex so I couldn't tell you off hand
where to look, but /etc/yumex or /etc/yumex.d come to mind.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 24 June 2012 20:43:15 Leonard den Ottolander did opine:

> Hello Gene,
>
> On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 17:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > These are the packages it is
> > showing me that I _could_ install, and nearly every blessed one of
> > them has a dependency on python-2.4. Why yumex is even showing me el5
> > files is a puzzle I'm apparently not equipt to sort,
>
> I'm not familiar with yumex, just using plain yum and rpm. Perhaps using
> this non standard package manager is what is causing all your troubles.
> Could it be yumex uses hard coded (or configurable) paths and you
> installed a yumex for the wrong release? Where did you get that yumex
> from? And why not use plain yum? You are fitting all sorts of things
> onto a system that you are not familiar with, no wonder you meet a few
> bumps ;-) .
>
> > I see what someone meant when they said centos was a stripped mostly
> > server distro.
>
> It's a rebuild from Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is based on Fedora.
> Since it's an enterprise distro it provides a limited range of packages
> and they are rather dated to safeguard functional, ABI and API
> compatibility for a period of 5 years.
>
> You might want to give Fedora a try, it supports *way* more packages by
> default, but I have to warn you that it used to come with the warning
> that "it eats babies", in the sense that it's bleeding edge and might
> have some rough edges.

It also kills kittens.

> > Trying to nail kde and a working audio system to it reminds me of
> > trying to nail jelly to a tree, everything you try to install winds up
> > splattered on the floor.
>
> I suppose that's just fallout from the issue you are having, things like
> this should work out of the box assuming your hardware is not too exotic
> or too new. But you have to be careful about which 3rd party repos you
> enable, which is probably true for any distro that supports those.
>
> > With the
> > same config files installed here on centos6, nfs is dead, no hits, no
> > runs & no errors logged.
>
> CentOS/RHEL make you start services explicitly instead of enabling
> anything by default. Are both portmap and nfs running?

No clue at this time. IMO the 64 bit scene is just as broken as it was 3
years ago when I had a 64 bit version intended for AMD (Phenom quad core
here) installed for about 2 hours.

> > Thanks for the reply Leonard, but I don't think centos and I will be
> > able to be friends when yum is so easily confused.
>
> yum != yumex . I'm quite sure one can screw up Ubuntu too, but if you're
> more comfortable with Ubuntu then by any means use it.
>
> > With synaptic, I might give
> > it another week just in case I could sort this out. Synaptic for
> > instance, when it encounters a dependency, looks it up and says 'you
> > need these packages to resolve dependencies', shows you a list and
> > asks if its ok to add them to the install list.
>
> If your repos are set up correctly yum should behave in a similar way.
> This is why yum was added on top of rpm. The reason yum bails out is
> because it cannot find those dependencies in any of the repos as they
> have incorrect versions. What is the cause of that is not clear to me
> but something is insisting on looking at el5 repos and it's definitely
> *not* any of the packages that come with CentOS 6 by default.
>
> If you are still interested in getting CentOS 6 running I suggest you do
> a clean install and only start adding 3rd party repos once you have the
> system up and running.

If I was to do a clean install, it would sure be 32 bit. But I don't have
32 bit media on site. Does the 32 bit version have the opencascade kit?

> Cheers,
> Leonard.

Cheers Leonard, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I love mankind ... It's people I hate.
-- Schulz

Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Les Mikesell

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

>> > I see what someone meant when they said centos was a stripped mostly
>> > server distro.

I'd say it is sort of gnome-oriented, but there is plenty of desktop stuff now.

>> > With the
>> > same config files installed here on centos6, nfs is dead, no hits, no
>> > runs & no errors logged.
>>
>> CentOS/RHEL make you start services explicitly instead of enabling
>> anything by default. Are both portmap and nfs running?

Firewalls? Iptables starts with some restrictive rules.

> No clue at this time. *IMO the 64 bit scene is just as broken as it was 3
> years ago when I had a 64 bit version intended for AMD (Phenom quad core
> here) installed for about 2 hours.

Details? I haven't seen any 64-bit issues at all in 6.x. 32-bit
libs aren't always included like they were in 5.x so if you are
copying in some unpackaged 32-bit binaries you might have to install
some library support explicitly.

> If I was to do a clean install, it would sure be 32 bit.

Why? Anything current should have 64-bit versions available or work
from source builds on 64-bit.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Nikolaos Milas

On 25/6/2012 3:48 πμ, Gene Heskett wrote:

> IMO the 64 bit scene is just as broken as it was 3
> years ago when I had a 64 bit version intended for AMD (Phenom quad core
> here) installed for about 2 hours.

We are using always 64-bit only installations of CentOS 5 and 6
(including all packages) for years without problems.

Nick

Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 06/25/2012 05:10 PM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 25/6/2012 3:48 πμ, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> IMO the 64 bit scene is just as broken as it was 3
>> years ago when I had a 64 bit version intended for AMD (Phenom quad core
>> here) installed for about 2 hours.
>
> We are using always 64-bit only installations of CentOS 5 and 6
> (including all packages) for years without problems.

Same here. Haven't installed a 32 bit system in years.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 PM
John R Pierce

On 06/24/12 5:48 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> IMO the 64 bit scene is just as broken as it was 3
> years ago when I had a 64 bit version intended for AMD (Phenom quad core
> here) installed for about 2 hours.

WHAT is broken about 'the 64 bit scene' ?!? I have 64 bit Opteron
systems happily running CentOS 3 in my lab, zero problems related to the
bitness of them. These servers and installs are over 5 years old (HP
DL585, with 4 x Opteron 850 and 8GB ram, new in 2005).

IMHO, its insane to be installing 32 bits on modern servers that have
12-48gb of ram, and dozens of terabytes of disk space in the 21st
century. THATS broken.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast