-   -   How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/676092-how-upgrade-5-8-6-2-a.html)

Eric Kom 06-23-2012 07:52 AM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

Good day,

Please am new on CentOS, may you help me with the upgrade from 5.8 to
6.2 using?

Thanks a lot

You Truly

Eric Kom

System Administrator - Metropolitan College
/ You are scrupulously honest, frank, and
| straightforward. Therefore you have few |
friends. /

.--.
|o_o |
|:_/ |
//
(| Kom | )
/'\_ _/`
\___)=(___/

2 Hennie Van Till, White River, 1240
Tel: 013 750 2255 | Fax: 013 750 0105 | Cell: 078 879 1334
erickom@kom.za.net | erickom@namekom.co.za | erickom@erickom.co.za
www.kom.za.net | www.kom.za.org | www.erickom.co.za

Key fingerprint: 513E E91A C243 3020 8735 09BB 2DBC 5AD7 A9DA 1EF5

Chris 06-23-2012 08:37 AM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

2012/6/23 Eric Kom <erickom@metropolitanstaff.co.za>:
> Good day,
>
> Please am new on CentOS, may you help me with the upgrade from 5.8 to
> 6.2 using?

Upgrade from 5.x to 6.x is not supported by CentOS.

Eric Kom 06-23-2012 08:51 AM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

Leonard den Ottolander 06-23-2012 12:45 PM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

Hello Eric,

On Sat, 2012-06-23 at 09:52 +0200, Eric Kom wrote:
> Please am new on CentOS, may you help me with the upgrade from 5.8 to
> 6.2 using?

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/sn-upgrading-system-x86.html

"Red Hat does not support in-place upgrades between any major versions
of Red Hat Enterprise Linux."

Regards,
Leonard.

Tom Brown 06-23-2012 03:07 PM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

> Upgrade from 5.x to 6.x is not supported by CentOS.

which was not strictly the question that was asked though was it.

its not supported or recommended but it is possible.

ken 06-23-2012 03:32 PM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

On 06/23/2012 08:45 AM Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> On Sat, 2012-06-23 at 09:52 +0200, Eric Kom wrote:
>> Please am new on CentOS, may you help me with the upgrade from 5.8 to
>> 6.2 using?
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/sn-upgrading-system-x86.html
>
> "Red Hat does not support in-place upgrades between any major versions
> of Red Hat Enterprise Linux."
>
> Regards,
> Leonard.

That's redhat's way of saying that an upgrade to a major version is like
a new install, meaning you should back up your data etc. before
installing 6.2. In short, it takes some planning ahead of time to
upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2, especially if you've never done such an upgrade
before.

From prior experience I've found major upgrades easier if, in the
current setup, instead of having just one volume/partition and so
everything under root (/), there are separate partitions or volumes for
(at least) /home and /var because redhat (and so too centos) has always
recognized that those partitions contain data and will ask if I want to
leave them as they are or, instead, overwrite them. If you currently
have just one volume/partition, then you *must* backup any data you want
to save and then re-install it you have 6.2 running. If you already
have separate volumes/partitions on your 5.8 system, you still will want
to note which are which so that when you install 6.2 you will be able to
make the correct assignments.

There will likely be configuration information you will want to have
during the 6.2 install, e.g. your network configuration. So look
around under /etc for that and have readable copies of what you will
need during the install.

That's some of what's involved. It would take more than just a couple
paragraphs to explain everything. Much will depend upon what you are
currently running and what you plan to run on 6.2. Hope this helps a bit.

Keith Roberts 06-23-2012 04:42 PM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012, ken wrote:
*snip*

> From prior experience I've found major upgrades easier if, in the
> current setup, instead of having just one volume/partition and so
> everything under root (/), there are separate partitions or volumes for
> (at least) /home and /var because redhat (and so too centos) has always
> recognized that those partitions contain data and will ask if I want to
> leave them as they are or, instead, overwrite them. If you currently
> have just one volume/partition, then you *must* backup any data you want
> to save and then re-install it you have 6.2 running. If you already
> have separate volumes/partitions on your 5.8 system, you still will want
> to note which are which so that when you install 6.2 you will be able to
> make the correct assignments.

I've been caught out before when installing Linux with
existing data on several partitions, and had my partitions
and data trashed. My work around is to only let the
installer use / tmp and swap. That way it cannot touch my
partitions with data on them.

Once the initial installation is completed I then install my
own /etc/fstab from backups. This then allows the new Linux
OS to mount those partitions with existing data on them.

HTH

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

ken 06-23-2012 08:12 PM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

On 06/23/2012 12:42 PM Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012, ken wrote:
> *snip*
>
>> ... redhat (and so too centos) has always
>> recognized that those partitions contain data and will ask if I want to
>> leave them as they are or, instead, overwrite them. If you currently
>> have just one volume/partition, then you *must* backup any data you want
>> to save and then re-install it you have 6.2 running. If you already
>> have separate volumes/partitions on your 5.8 system, you still will want
>> to note which are which so that when you install 6.2 you will be able to
>> make the correct assignments.
>
> I've been caught out before when installing Linux with
> existing data on several partitions, and had my partitions
> and data trashed. My work around is to only let the
> installer use / tmp and swap. That way it cannot touch my
> partitions with data on them.

I've done at least a dozen, maybe three or four dozen installs, with
(actual) redhat, suse, centos, and probably others too, but have never
had that happen to me. Linux has even recognized every Windows
partition I've had and has left those alone to when I've asked it to.
This might be because I always select "Custom Install" at the very
beginning of the process. IMS, if you select "New Install" (or words to
that effect), you don't have the option to select partitions you want to
leave untouched during the install.

Keith Roberts 06-23-2012 09:36 PM

How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012, ken wrote:
*snip*

>> I've been caught out before when installing Linux with
>> existing data on several partitions, and had my partitions
>> and data trashed. My work around is to only let the
>> installer use / tmp and swap. That way it cannot touch my
>> partitions with data on them.
>
> I've done at least a dozen, maybe three or four dozen installs, with
> (actual) redhat, suse, centos, and probably others too, but have never
> had that happen to me. Linux has even recognized every Windows
> partition I've had and has left those alone to when I've asked it to.
> This might be because I always select "Custom Install" at the very
> beginning of the process. IMS, if you select "New Install" (or words to
> that effect), you don't have the option to select partitions you want to
> leave untouched during the install.

Hi Ken.

IIRC that happened a some years ago with Ubuntu.
Ever since that happened I've been wary of the various
different custom options available from different Linux
distros. I just use the Gparted Live CD to do any partition
work. I don't use LVM either yet, so that's not a problem
for me now.

Kind Regards,