Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM
John R Pierce

Default RAID?

On 06/25/12 1:10 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> they really should be better integrated, like the way LVM and JFS are
>> >integrated on AIX.
>> >
>> > # chfs -a size=+2G /var
>> >
>> >adds 2GB to /var, online, automatically. grows the logical volume and
>> >resizes the file system, all at once.
> Don't know where software RAID comes into play on AIX, but what is the
> difference of that command above to this one on CentOS 6?
>
> # lvresize -L+2G -r VG_sys/LV_var

software raid in AIX is handled by the LVM layer, and if the LV is
configured for mirroring ('copies=2'), then the resized LV will also be
mirrored.

does lvresize resize the file system while online? I didn't think it
did. the man page for fsadm (referenced in the lvresize man page) says
ext2/3/4 is unmounted before resizing. ooops. kind of hard to umount
/var !

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Warren Young

On 6/25/2012 2:10 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> but what is the
> difference of that command above to this one on CentOS 6?
>
> # lvresize -L+2G -r VG_sys/LV_var

That doesn't resize the filesystem sitting on the LV_var logical volume.

There's a level of non-integration above this, too: when you add a PV to
a VG, you have to explicitly resize the VG afterward, before you can
resize the LV, so you can resize the FS!

P'tui!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Keith Keller

On 2012-06-25, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 06/25/12 1:10 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>>> they really should be better integrated, like the way LVM and JFS are

>> Don't know where software RAID comes into play on AIX, but what is the
>> difference of that command above to this one on CentOS 6?
>>
>> # lvresize -L+2G -r VG_sys/LV_var
>
> does lvresize resize the file system while online? I didn't think it
> did. the man page for fsadm (referenced in the lvresize man page) says
> ext2/3/4 is unmounted before resizing. ooops. kind of hard to umount
> /var !

My man page for fsadm (CentOS 6) implies that you need to provide -e in
order for fsadm to umount an ext? filesystem before attempting the
resize. So in theory if you don't give -e it should resize while
mounted.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 06/26/2012 12:50 AM, Keith Keller wrote:

>>> Don't know where software RAID comes into play on AIX, but what is the
>>> difference of that command above to this one on CentOS 6?
>>>
>>> # lvresize -L+2G -r VG_sys/LV_var
>>
>> does lvresize resize the file system while online? I didn't think it
>> did. the man page for fsadm (referenced in the lvresize man page) says
>> ext2/3/4 is unmounted before resizing. ooops. kind of hard to umount
>> /var !
>
> My man page for fsadm (CentOS 6) implies that you need to provide -e in
> order for fsadm to umount an ext? filesystem before attempting the
> resize. So in theory if you don't give -e it should resize while
> mounted.

I know that a combination of lvextend and resize2fs can be done online. I
regulary add new virtual disks to guests and then add the space to the root
partition in these guests in fact I just added 100G of space to a mongodb
VM a few minutes ago.
While I haven't used the -r switch yet I would think that it uses the same
mechanism and thus should do all its work online as well.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Arun Khan

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply. Sorry I meant software RAID to
> install the service of RAID how to enable and configure the RAID
> service.

The CentOS 6.2 default kernel and installation provide the mdadm (sw)
raid functionality.

The following <https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup>
contain the steps to configure mdadm RAID1.

The key thing would be to decide on the partition sizes and they
should be identical on both disks when you create the RAID device(s).

HTH,
-- Arun Khan