-   -   basic auth fails (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/675426-basic-auth-fails.html)

Tim Dunphy 06-21-2012 02:03 PM

basic auth fails

Hello,

I've setup apache basic auth on by web server to protect my nagios
site. It's been working just fine, but suddenly it stopped accepting
passwords even tho they are being typed in correctly. I was wondering
if I could get some advice on how to troubleshoot this?

I'm on a centos 5.4 machine

Linux 2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen #1 SMP Fri Feb 15 12:34:28 EST 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Server version: Apache/2.2.21 (Unix)
Server built: Nov 14 2011 18:03:07

I don't see any indication in the logs as to why this may be
happening, but it's possible I might not be looking for the right
things.

Thanks
Tim

Bob Hoffman 06-21-2012 02:14 PM

basic auth fails

On 6/21/2012 10:03 AM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've setup apache basic auth on by web server to protect my nagios
> site. It's been working just fine, but suddenly it stopped accepting
> passwords even tho they are being typed in correctly. I was wondering
> if I could get some advice on how to troubleshoot this?
>
> I'm on a centos 5.4 machine
>

> Linux 2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen #1 SMP Fri Feb 15 12:34:28 EST 2008 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Server version: Apache/2.2.21 (Unix)
> Server built: Nov 14 2011 18:03:07
>
> I don't see any indication in the logs as to why this may be
> happening, but it's possible I might not be looking for the right
> things.
>
> Thanks
> Tim
>

> gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys F186197B

perhaps wrong password?
password might be set to expire?
did you check your htaccess files...?
do you have any kind of security that blocks anyone after failing a few
log ins? (denyhost?)

John Doe 06-21-2012 03:32 PM

basic auth fails

From: Tim Dunphy <bluethundr@gmail.com>

> I've setup apache basic auth on by web server to protect my nagios
> site. It's been working just fine, but suddenly it stopped accepting
> passwords even tho they are being typed in correctly. I was wondering
> if I could get some advice on how to troubleshoot this?
> I'm on a centos 5.4 machine

5.4 is old... is it secure...?
Check the password file date/content.

JD

Alexander Dalloz 06-22-2012 09:05 PM

basic auth fails

Am 21.06.2012 16:03, schrieb Tim Dunphy:
> Hello,
>
> I've setup apache basic auth on by web server to protect my nagios
> site. It's been working just fine, but suddenly it stopped accepting
> passwords even tho they are being typed in correctly. I was wondering
> if I could get some advice on how to troubleshoot this?
>
> I'm on a centos 5.4 machine

No, you are not.

> Linux 2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen #1 SMP Fri Feb 15 12:34:28 EST 2008 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Not a CentOS kernel and that one is highly vulnerable.

> Server version: Apache/2.2.21 (Unix)
> Server built: Nov 14 2011 18:03:07

Not a CentOS versions of Apache. A vulnerable Apache release.

> I don't see any indication in the logs as to why this may be
> happening, but it's possible I might not be looking for the right
> things.
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Alexander