Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Gene Heskett

Default CentOS 6.2-x86-64

Greetings all, newbie to CentOS here. Also newbie to 64 bit installs.

Package Manager problem:

I found a yumex, which is not part of the 64 bit install, but it wants a
way older version of python-2.4 whereas we have 2.6.6-something after the
post install upgrade.

1st Question:
Is there anything that can be done about this? Or is there something
better, like a 64 bit synaptic to replace yumex?

Mail problem:

I've been using a fetchmail -> procmail system here for years to unload
kmail from its mail pulling duties, making it many times easier to use.

Adjuncts to that are spamassassin, clamav, and mailfilter

There appears not to be any 64 bit builds of clamav and mailfilter.

I do have the src for mailfilter, however it refuses to build on x86-64,
issuing this error:
==================
Making all in src
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mailfilter-0.8.2/src'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include -I. -I../include -I.. -
DLOCALEDIR="/usr/local/share/locale" -I../intl -I.. -I../include -I. -
Wall -g -O2 -MT header.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/header.Tpo -c -o header.o
header.cc
header.cc: In member function ‘int Header::rfc822_valid_msgid(const
char*)’:
header.cc:77: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’
gmake[2]: *** [header.o] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mailfilter-0.8.2/src'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mailfilter-0.8.2'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
===================

Lines 77-78 in that file:
if (!(dom = strrchr (msgid, '@')))
return -1;

Obviously strrchr() tries to convert the header spec here from line 35:

int Header :: rfc822_valid_msgid (const char* msgid)

into a plain char. Boom on a 64 bit machine.

2nd Question:

How best to fix that? I know enough C to be dangerous, but somewhere
between .0000zip and absolutely nothing about c++.

There are other mail related problems, like a missing inotifywait and its
library, but moving the 32 bit versions into what appeared to be the
correct locations, and that seems to work 99% well.

Suffice to say mail is moving, but the noise filters aren't working.

Thanks to anyone who can help here.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Never appeal to a man's "better nature." He may not have one.
Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
-- Lazarus Long