Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM
John R Pierce

Default Failing Network card

On 06/20/12 12:21 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I am being persuaded that you are right. I'll have to look at the
> mother board to answer Dale's question; the machine and the nic card
> came from Fry's. I have had pretty good luck with Fry's in the past,
> but this has turned out to be a real pain.
>
> What chip set, or what pci-e nic card would you recommend?

I've had good luck with Intel ethernet chips/cards, especially the
server oriented ones.

one of my recent servers has these NICs...

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 06)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 06)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)
07:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 01)

another has...

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network
Connection
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network
Connection

these are both recent Xeon 5600 class CPUs. The first is a HP DL380g6,
the 2nd is a whitebox server with a SuperMicro X8DTE-F motherboard.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 PM

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 06/20/12 12:21 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> I am being persuaded that you are right. I'll have to look at the
>> mother board to answer Dale's question; the machine and the nic card
>> came from Fry's. I have had pretty good luck with Fry's in the past,
>> but this has turned out to be a real pain.
>>
>> What chip set, or what pci-e nic card would you recommend?
>
> I've had good luck with Intel ethernet chips/cards, especially the
> server oriented ones.
<snip>
We've got a lot of Broadcom ones. IIRC, Realtek tends towards consumer
grade, not server grade.

mark

Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Chuck Munro

> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:54:33 -0700
> From: John R Pierce<pierce@hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Failing Network card
> To:centos@centos.org
>
> On 06/20/12 8:44 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> > 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>> > RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev ff)
>
> pure unmitigated junk.
>
> -- john r pierce N 37, W 122 santa cruz ca mid-left coast

I agree with John's comment. Realtek chips are junk with unpredictable
reliability, especially under heavy load. I have had several problems
with various versions of the 81xx chips. When I tossed the cards in the
garbage and switched to Intel-based NICs, all the problems went away.

Every time I build systems with Realtek network chips on the
motherboard, I disable them in the BIOS and add Intel NICs instead.

YMMV, but please consider ditching Realtek altogether.

Chuck