Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
"gopinath"

Default Diskless Environment

How to configure Diskless environment in CentOS
5.1. Please help me out
*
Regards,
Gopinath M
Signal Networks Pvt.
Ltd.
*

Smile... it increases your face
value!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
"Sudev Barar"

On 10/04/2008, gopinath <gopinath@signal-networks.com> wrote:

> How to configure Diskless environment in CentOS 5.1. Please help me out

Diskless? Like in no floppy / thumb drives or diskless like in network booting?
Sudev Barar

Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Les Mikesell

gopinath wrote:

How to configure Diskless environment in CentOS 5.1. Please help me out

If you want a thin client setup (diskless machines only run X and log
into the server), the easy way is to install the k12ltsp version that
has a centos base (version 5-EL from the download link here
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page). If you want to NFS
mount disks from the server and run everything on the clients or boot a
single image on a cluster, look at http://drbl.sourceforge.net/.
You can do either of these with the tools included in Centos yourself,
but since it is fairly complicated it is probably worth trying one or
both of these first.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 PM
John

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 17:30 +0530, gopinath wrote:
> How to configure Diskless environment in CentOS 5.1. Please help me
> out

Have a look at The Linux Terminal Server Project.
http://www.ltsp.org/ That's is about the easiest configuration out.

You can use rsync to make the Client OS Layout and manually edit all
files as needed, pxe dhcp nfs and tftp. It's a nightmare to do.

An alternative method would be obtain the "system-config-netboot"
package from Fedora Core 6 or 7 that's if you can get it to work
correctly. Red Hat omitted it in v5.0 and also I think in 5.1. Bugzilla
on red hat says they are going to release it in a later release.

IMHO I believe it is getting replaced by cobbler. Any one on the list
know for sure?

> Regards,
> Gopinath M
> Signal Networks Pvt. Ltd.
>

> Smile... it increases your face value!

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Max Hetrick

Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 AM
"gopinath"

Hi

according to the configuration defined in the below link i had configured
on my PC.
But when i do network boot on diskless Pc.

It obtains ip from dhcp server
then it also loads the defaults file in the pxelinux.cfg directory kept on
the tftp server

then it displays

Welcome to Redhat Network Install

some snake symbol

then
Enter the number of the Operation system for network install

0: Local Disk

boot:

please help me out is there anything extra to be done ..