Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 AM
John R Pierce

Default Memory recognition in 6.2

On 06/19/12 4:22 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> The reason for the restriction to 32-bit is because of other software
> that we must run that does not work correctly on a 64-bit OS.

fix that other software. or run in 16GB.
there's no excuse in 2012 for not supporting 64bit, even my budget
laptop has 8GB of memory and a 64bit OS.

as an example of the problems see this message,
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2008-September/msg00194.html
and its various followups...

PAE was a kludge to let 32 bit OS's, normally limited to 4GB max memory
address more. the kludge breaks things above 16GB in spite of the
theoretical 64GB limit enforced by the hardware.

also see this
https://www.redhat.com/resourcelibrary/articles/articles-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-technology-capabilities-and-limits

EL *4* supported a nasty 'hugemem' kernel that could get you past 16GB
but only at great overhead. this caused MANY problems and was
discontinued in EL5 and 6 32bit systems, where 64bit is the correct
choice for all modern servers.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Tuesday 19 June 2012, "Hugh E Cruickshank" <hugh@forsoft.com> wrote:

> If that is the case then both CentOS 5 and 6 are not viable for us. I
> will have to go for RHEL5 (or possibly 6) which does support the
> memory in 32-bit mode.

The limit's the same with RHEL 5 and 6. CentOS is "bug-for-bug
compatible" with RHEL.

> The reason for the restriction to 32-bit is because of other software
> that we must run that does not work correctly on a 64-bit OS.

Your 32-bit applications will be restricted to 4 Gb of memory each
anyway. If you must use x86, memory over 16 Gb is pretty much wasted,
unless you install x86_64 and virtualize x86 as necessary.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se

Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 AM
John R Pierce

On 06/19/12 6:31 PM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Your 32-bit applications will be restricted to 4 Gb of memory each
> anyway.

sctually, they only get 2 or 3gb of that for user space, the other 1 or
2gb of the 32bit space is used by the kernel which is in every process
address space. I believe with PAE, you actually get LESS per process
address space

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 AM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

Hi All:

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I have been doing some
more research and I believe that it may be possible to go 64-bit. I
am going to leave this for now and have another look at it in the
morning when I am, hopefully, awake before I make the final decision.

Good night.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Ross Walker

On Jun 20, 2012, at 2:18 AM, "Hugh E Cruickshank" <hugh@forsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I have been doing some
> more research and I believe that it may be possible to go 64-bit. I
> am going to leave this for now and have another look at it in the
> morning when I am, hopefully, awake before I make the final decision.

It is definitely the wise choice given the memory requirements.

I have yet to find a 32-bit app that won't run on x86_64, all that is needed is the 32-bit libraries.

Even Microsoft is producing 64-bit only server OS now.

-Ross