-   -   Deleting Files (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/674274-deleting-files.html)

Matt 06-18-2012 10:12 PM

Deleting Files

I want to safely delete all files in a certain directory that are
exactly 32 characters long. This is on CentOS 5.x. How would I do
that?

Frank Cox 06-18-2012 10:22 PM

Deleting Files

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:12:34 -0500
Matt wrote:

> I want to safely delete all files in a certain directory that are
> exactly 32 characters long. This is on CentOS 5.x. How would I do
> that?

rm -i ????????????????????????????????

Stephen Harris 06-19-2012 03:02 AM

Deleting Files

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 05:12:34PM -0500, Matt wrote:
> I want to safely delete all files in a certain directory that are
> exactly 32 characters long. This is on CentOS 5.x. How would I do
> that?

Let me guess; homework... 'cos this sure ain't a CentOS question!

--

rgds
Stephen

Matt 06-19-2012 03:47 PM

Deleting Files

>> I want to safely delete all files in a certain directory that are
>> exactly 32 characters long. *This is on CentOS 5.x. *How would I do
>> that?
>
> Let me guess; homework... *'cos this sure ain't a CentOS question!

No, cluttered directory.

Diego Sanchez 06-20-2012 12:11 AM

Deleting Files

find /whe/re -mtime +2 -exec echo {} ;

If you get "Argument list too long" error, you can use

find . -name "*" -print | xargs rm

--
Diego - Yo no soy paranoico! (pero que me siguen, me siguen)

Thomas Johansson 06-20-2012 10:23 AM

Deleting Files

On 2012-06-20 02:11, Diego Sanchez wrote:
> find /whe/re -mtime +2 -exec echo {} ;
>
> If you get "Argument list too long" error, you can use
>
> find . -name "*" -print | xargs rm

Be very careful using that line!

If you have files or directories with whitespace or other special items
in the name it can produce very unexpected behavior. In the case of
whitespaces in filenames a better choise is to use

find . -name '...' -print0 | xargs -0 rm

Look at the man pages for find and xargs for more information.