Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 PM

Default vlc?

Hey, folks,

a co-worker raves that vlc is the bestestplaysthemostformats media
player there is, including being able to resize videos. I see it's only
over on repoforge for CentOS, but trying to install it at home (I'm
running 5.8, 32-bit), it wants about 30 or more dependencies, and one
or two of them, of course, have conflicts.

Has anyone installed it in a 5.x environment? If so, what did you do?

mark

Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Tom Bishop

I think you may want to look at getting it from repo like rpmforge

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge

might want to make sure if you want to start using a third party repo that
you install priorities and understand how it works

Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM

Tom,

Please don't top post.

Tom Bishop wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>> a co-worker raves that vlc is the bestestplaysthemostformats media
>> player there is, including being able to resize videos. I see it's only
>> over on repoforge for CentOS, but trying to install it at home (I'm
>> running 5.8, 32-bit), it wants about 30 or more dependencies, and one
>> or two of them, of course, have conflicts.
>>
>> Has anyone installed it in a 5.x environment? If so, what did you do?

> I think you may want to look at getting it from repo like rpmforge
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge
>
> might want to make sure if you want to start using a third party repo that
> you install priorities and understand how it works

I think you didn't read all of what I asked: none of the std. repos for
CentOS have it (nor for 6.2); it seems to be at repoforge, yes, I do know
how to add another repo, and the problem is the dependencies of
dependencies.

I was *hoping* that either a) someone had a workaround to let me install
it, or b) had another repo source that might have fewer dependencies.

mark

Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> I was *hoping* that either a) someone had a workaround to let me install
> it, or b) had another repo source that might have fewer dependencies.

On a 5.x box with rpmforge repo installed but disabled, I did a:
yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install vlc
and downloaded/installed 43 packages, no conflicts. I keep epel
disabled on this one too, maybe that is conflict - or something
already installed from there.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>>
>> I was *hoping* that either a) someone had a workaround to let me install
>> it, or b) had another repo source that might have fewer dependencies.
>
> On a 5.x box with rpmforge repo installed but disabled, I did a:
> yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install vlc
> and downloaded/installed 43 packages, no conflicts. I keep epel
> disabled on this one too, maybe that is conflict - or something
> already installed from there.

Thanks, Les, I'll try that this evening.

mark

Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Le 18/06/2012 22:00, m.roth@5-cent.us a crit :

> I think you didn't read all of what I asked: none of the std. repos for
> CentOS have it (nor for 6.2); it seems to be at repoforge, yes, I do know

it's not in centos base, but as far as third party repos go repoforge is
as standard as it gets. If you have epel configured and active you can
get conflicts though. If you enable only centos and repoforge installing
vlc should work, otherwise it means you have already installed some
packages from another third party repo that cause a conflict.
vlc does have a lot of deps, as do most other media players. That's not
something to worry about.
BTW you may want to try xine and mplayer as well, also available in
repoforge and also very good players.