Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

Default Best way to duplicate a live Centos 5 server?

On 7/9/12, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 07/08/12 7:14 PM, Joseph Spenner wrote:
>> What is running on the server? You might be able to get away with a dd,
>> to build a duplicate disk. This disk can be directly attached or on
>> another server tunneled through ssh.
>
> or setup a drbd replica, wait for it to replicate, then stop the
> replication.

That requires drbd to be setup in advance doesn't it? I was trying
this approach then ran into that wall. And given the amount of work
required to get drbd working on a new setup, it seemed easier to use
mdraid to do the same thing.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Nikolaos Milas

On 9/7/2012 1:48 πμ, Micky wrote:

> The best and traditional way that has been there for decades is an rsync
> and then reinstallation of boot-loader.

We are using mondorescue (mondoarchive and mondorestore). Works fine and
supports many ways of archiving/restoring, LVM etc.

I recommend it. Good both for backups and cloning.

Nick

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
"Tilman Schmidt"

Phil Savoie wrote:
> On 07/08/2012 06:48 PM, Micky wrote:
> > The best and traditional way that has been there for decades is an rsync
> > and then reinstallation of boot-loader.
> > It works always if you know how it's done.
> >
> > If you need detailed instructions, I can send you that!
>
> Yes, please! Could you either post here to the list, or to me personally?

The list, if you please. (A link will do.)

Thx
T.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/9/12, Micky <mickylmartin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The best and traditional way that has been there for decades is an rsync
>> and then reinstallation of boot-loader.
>> It works always if you know how it's done.
>
> The problem I found with rsync is that it is very slow when there are
> a lot of small files. Any idea how this can be improved on or is that
> a fundamental limit?

One thing that helps is to break it up into separate runs, at least
per-filesystem and perhaps some of the larger subdirectories.
Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to do an initial run
ahead of time when speed doesn't matter so much, then just before the
cutover shut down the services that will be changing files and
databases and do a final rsync which will go much faster.

Also, have you looked at clonezilla and ReaR?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
aurfalien

On Jul 8, 2012, at 10:34 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> On 7/9/12, Micky <mickylmartin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The best and traditional way that has been there for decades is an rsync
>> and then reinstallation of boot-loader.
>> It works always if you know how it's done.
>
> The problem I found with rsync is that it is very slow when there are
> a lot of small files. Any idea how this can be improved on or is that
> a fundamental limit?

I do dump/restores fir this sort of thing.

- aurf

Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 PM

aurfalien wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2012, at 10:34 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>
>> On 7/9/12, Micky <mickylmartin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The best and traditional way that has been there for decades is an
>>> rsync
>>> and then reinstallation of boot-loader.
>>> It works always if you know how it's done.
>>
>> The problem I found with rsync is that it is very slow when there are
>> a lot of small files. Any idea how this can be improved on or is that
>> a fundamental limit?
>
> I do dump/restores fir this sort of thing.

Depends on if you want everything, and of course, if there's a hardware
difference, you need to chroot (assuming you rsync'd to special
directories, like /new and /boot/new), and do some mounts and chroot, and
rebuild the initrd.img

mark

Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
John Austin

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 09:00 -0700, aurfalien wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2012, at 10:34 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>
> > On 7/9/12, Micky <mickylmartin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The best and traditional way that has been there for decades is an rsync
> >> and then reinstallation of boot-loader.
> >> It works always if you know how it's done.
> >
> > The problem I found with rsync is that it is very slow when there are
> > a lot of small files. Any idea how this can be improved on or is that
> > a fundamental limit?
>
> I do dump/restores fir this sort of thing.

+1

John

Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 7/9/12, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing that helps is to break it up into separate runs, at least
> per-filesystem and perhaps some of the larger subdirectories.
> Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to do an initial run
> ahead of time when speed doesn't matter so much, then just before the
> cutover shut down the services that will be changing files and
> databases and do a final rsync which will go much faster.

I did try this but the time taken is pretty similar in the main delay
is the part where rsync goes through all the files and spend a few
hours trying to figure out what needs to be the updated on the second
run after I shutdown the services. In hindsight, I might had been able
to speed up things up considerably if I had generated a file list
based on last modified time and passed it to rsync via the
exclude/include parameters.

> Also, have you looked at clonezilla and ReaR?

Yes, but due to time constraints, I figured it was safer to go with
something simpler that I didn't have to learn as I go and could be
done live without needed extra hardware on site. Plus it would be
something that works at any site I needed it without extra software
too.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 7/10/12, aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do dump/restores fir this sort of thing.

Thanks for this, I didn't know there was such a command until now!
But it looks like it should work for me since bulk of the data are
usually in /home which is a separate fs/mount usually. I can always
resize the fs after transfer so I'll give this a try the next time I
need to do a dup/migrate.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 AM
John R Pierce

On 07/09/12 11:39 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 7/10/12, aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I do dump/restores fir this sort of thing.
> Thanks for this, I didn't know there was such a command until now!
> But it looks like it should work for me since bulk of the data are
> usually in /home which is a separate fs/mount usually. I can always
> resize the fs after transfer so I'll give this a try the next time I
> need to do a dup/migrate.

dump should not be used on mounted file systems, except / in single user.

restore can restore to any size file system of the same type (ext3,
ext4) thats large enough to hold the files dumped.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast