Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Arun Khan

Default Recommend vendor to recover data from LTO4 tapes

Posting here in the hope that some one may have encountered problems
with recovery from backups on LTO4 media and found a solution.

Back ups on FujiFilm LTO4 media (800/1600).

Archives created using tar -cf /dev/nst0. *The tapes were fine when
the archives were created (tested by extracting random sample files
from them) but something went wrong in storage (no physical damage).

Now a few LTO4 tapes are giving I/O errors when I try to extract data
from them. * Tried dd_rescue and that too fails giving *I/O errors.

I am wondering if there are any service providers, to extract
the data out of the magnetic tapes in a fashion similar to "dead" hard
disks. * Please share info if you know of any such provider.

Thanks,
-- Arun Khan