-   -   Recommend vendor to recover data from LTO4 tapes (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/673709-recommend-vendor-recover-data-lto4-tapes.html)

Arun Khan 06-17-2012 01:03 PM

Recommend vendor to recover data from LTO4 tapes

Posting here in the hope that some one may have encountered problems
with recovery from backups on LTO4 media and found a solution.

Back ups on FujiFilm LTO4 media (800/1600).

Archives created using tar -cf /dev/nst0. *The tapes were fine when
the archives were created (tested by extracting random sample files
from them) but something went wrong in storage (no physical damage).

Now a few LTO4 tapes are giving I/O errors when I try to extract data
from them. * Tried dd_rescue and that too fails giving *I/O errors.

I am wondering if there are any service providers, to extract
the data out of the magnetic tapes in a fashion similar to "dead" hard
disks. * Please share info if you know of any such provider.

Thanks,
-- Arun Khan