Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Nux!

Default Rhythmbox Replacement

On 17.06.2012 03:51, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> What application replaces the functionality of Rhythmbox for Cent OS
> 6.2? In particular I am interested in handling podcast feeds.

Rhythmbox does support podcasts I believe. Anyway, from what I have at
hand now I can say VLC and Clementine (KDE based) have support for
podcasts; but you need to use 3rd party repos to install them (lime my
own :> ).

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 06/17/2012 07:35 AM, Nux! wrote:
> On 17.06.2012 03:51, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Hey Y'all,
>>
>> What application replaces the functionality of Rhythmbox for Cent OS
>> 6.2? In particular I am interested in handling podcast feeds.
>
> Rhythmbox does support podcasts I believe. Anyway, from what I have at
> hand now I can say VLC and Clementine (KDE based) have support for
> podcasts; but you need to use 3rd party repos to install them (lime my
> own :> ).

I see that Rhythmbox is up to Rev. 2.97 on their home page. The current
version in the el repo is 0.12.8. Looks to me like the repo has an old
and creaky version.

Rhythmbox 0.12.8 functions pretty well for catching podcasts and
dropping them on my HD, but it does leave something to be desired. A
new feed can be added but deleting a feed can only be done by manually
editing the ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml file.

I tried the configure/make/install dance with the source for version
2.97 but I got resolvable dependencies. I'm thinking that's the reason
why there is no newer version in the repo.

Now to the point, VLC is useful for playing mp3 files once they are
downloaded, but not so useful for collecting them. Clementine is also
strongly music oriented. Great for playing podcasts but not so much for
catching them.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a new pod catcher that isn't many years
out of date, and is supported in the repos. I've learned over the years
that mixing repos is a good recipe for disaster.

--
_
/(_)

Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 22:51 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
> What application replaces the functionality of Rhythmbox for Cent OS
> 6.2? In particular I am interested in handling podcast feeds.

I use Banshee for all that multimedia stuff; including podcasts. It
works *great*. But my desktop & laptop are openSUSE. I don't know if
Banshee is packaged for CentOS6 [which I use on servers].

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier@aol.com> wrote:

> Anyway, what I'm looking for is a new pod catcher that isn't many years
> out of date, and is supported in the repos. *I've learned over the years
> that mixing repos is a good recipe for disaster.

If you are generally online to listen, you can use google reader as a
subscription aggregator and play them through any browser that handles
mp3s. And, if you have an android phone, the 'listen' app
automatically tracks the subscriptions and can keep a configurable
number of unlistened podcasts downlaoded for offline listening
(perfect for long commutes...). The 'reader' phone app works with
text newsfeeds. You just have to be careful about going into 'all
items' in the web interface to reader and doing a 'mark all as read'
because it also clears the listen section.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Mark LaPierre

On 06/17/2012 09:05 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 22:51 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Hey Y'all,
>> What application replaces the functionality of Rhythmbox for Cent OS
>> 6.2? In particular I am interested in handling podcast feeds.
>
> I use Banshee for all that multimedia stuff; including podcasts. It
> works *great*. But my desktop& laptop are openSUSE. I don't know if
> Banshee is packaged for CentOS6 [which I use on servers].

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately Banshee is not to be found in
the Cent OS repos. ;-(

--
_
/(_)

Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Scott Robbins

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:03:12PM -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:

> On 06/17/2012 09:05 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >
> > I use Banshee for all that multimedia stuff; including podcasts. It
> > works *great*. But my desktop& laptop are openSUSE. I don't know if
> > Banshee is packaged for CentOS6 [which I use on servers].
>

> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately Banshee is not to be found in
> the Cent OS repos. ;-(

Untested by me, but....

http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/Banshee-for-RHEL6-and-clones-td4034716.html

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Just because you're better than us doesn't mean you
can be all superior.