Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Beth Albertson

Default Setting up an iSCSI SAN

Hi,

Has anyone ever actually implemented a replicating iSCSI SAN using CentOS? I saw directions here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Ha-Drbd

It looks doable, but I am not the strongest linux person and would like to hear if anyone has tried and if there any caveats. Also, I noticed that these directions are for CentOS 5. Is it pretty much the same for CenOS 6?

Lastly, this might sound crazy, but we are mostly a Hyper-V shop. Hyper-V supports CentOS 6.0-6.2 and 5.5-5.7. Could I implement this as a guest in Hyper-V or am I just asking for trouble?

Sincerely,

Beth Albertson
Network Analyst
City of Olympia
(360) 753-8289
balberts@ci.olympia.wa.us

Work Hours: M 7:15-5:15, Tu 7:15-3:15, W 7:15-5:15, Th 7:15-3:15, F 7:15-4:15

Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 PM
John R Pierce

On 05/31/12 11:46 AM, Beth Albertson wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually implemented a replicating iSCSI SAN using CentOS? I saw directions here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Ha-Drbd
>
> It looks doable, but I am not the strongest linux person and would like to hear if anyone has tried and if there any caveats.

SAN infrastructure should be built to be ROCK solid, as OS's really
don't like their block storage devices turning flakey on them. you'd
want to use synchronous DRBD replication , and I have no idea how you'd
mirror any write-back cache of the two servers in the failover
cluster. without some form of writeback caching, ISCSI will be
SLOW... ditto, DRBD sync replication is relatively slow (master target
has to wait for slave target to commit writes before it can reply to the
initiator that the data is committed).

I've had very mixed results from ad-hoc ISCSI tests I've done, and have
avoiding deploying any such in production, even for development lab
purposes, due to this.

I'd not run /any/ block storage infrastructure on a virtualized
platform, that just adds more points of failure, and lowers performance.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast