Old 05-30-2012, 09:00 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default need assist with upstart config problem

I am trying, without success, to create an upstart config file to
automatically start and restart an ssh proxy. The command sting that
I use in the script has been checked and verified from the shell but
it fails in the upstart file.

The file contents are:

. . .
# proxy is used to authenticate smtp submissions
# so start it before the postfix service starts
start on starting postfix

# Take down proxy after postfix stops
stop on stopped postfix

# tell upstart that this script creates a daemon
# and have upstart manage PID creation
# but it is generally a bad idea to use this with a
# script / end script block, use exec() instead
# no fork in ssh
#expect fork

# restart automatically if connection fails
respawn

# for script debugging with strace
# but not available in 0.6.3 of course
#debug
# use strace -p <pid> -o /tmp/upstart_debug.log -Ff -s 1024 -v

# Setup script configuration variables:

# localhost means we do not expose proxy to internet
env LOCAL_HOST=localhost

# port 143 is default IMAP service port for plain text connections
env LOCAL_PORT=143

# ports less than 1024 require root privileges to establish
# this must be a passwordless login using PKI certificates
# requires one time setup of local root user ssh key and cert
# and adding this host's root user cert to authorized_keys of
# login host's root user.
env LOGIN_USER=root

# login PKI credentials for LOGIN_USER
env LOGIN_IDENT=/root/.ssh/id_rsa

# login host, may be different than remote host for port forwarding
# must resolve to an address that sshd login server listens on
env LOGIN_HOST=inet07.hamilton.harte-lyne.ca

# the remote host destination for port forwarding
env REMOTE_HOST=inet07.hamilton.harte-lyne.ca

# port that remote service listens on
env REMOTE_PORT=143

# Locate ssh binary
env SSH_BINARY=/usr/bin/ssh

# SSH options used:

### -D : "dynamic" app-level port forwarding - not used. ###

# -f : run in background without a terminal implies -n

# -i : identity file for pki login credentials

# -l : login user name

# -L local_host:local_port:remote_host:remote_port
# : Establishes proxy connection from local port
# port on the remote host.

# -n : stdin from /dev/null, must be used when ssh is run in bg.

# -N : Do not run a command on the remote host. Otherwise an
# error results because we are not initiating a session.

# -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes : Wait until connection successfully
# completes before daemonizing

# -o ServerAliveInterval=15 : Keep connection alive every 15 seconds

# -q : Run quietly, do not produce local output.

# -T : disable pseudo-tty allocation

# SSH options used
env SSH_OPTIONS=" -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes "
env SSH_OPTIONS=${SSH_OPTIONS}" -o ServerAliveInterval=15 "

# SSH switches used:
env SSH_SWITCHES=" -fNqT "

exec ${SSH_BINARY} ${SSH_OPTIONS} ${SSH_SWITCHES} -l ${LOGIN_USER} -i
${LOGIN_IDENT} -L
${LOCAL_HOST}:${LOCAL_PORT}:${REMOTE_HOST}:${REMOT E_PORT}
${LOGIN_HOST}

# EOF

The exec is all one line.

I have tried removing -f from the switches but this makes no
difference. Whenever I start this job it immediately fails with the
following in the syslog:

. . .
May 30 16:47:06 inet08 init: LOCAL_ssh_imap_proxy main process ended,
respawning
May 30 16:47:06 inet08 init: LOCAL_ssh_imap_proxy main process (3393)
terminated with status 255
May 30 16:47:06 inet08 init: LOCAL_ssh_imap_proxy main process ended,
respawning
May 30 16:47:06 inet08 init: LOCAL_ssh_imap_proxy main process (3397)
terminated with status 255
May 30 16:47:06 inet08 init: LOCAL_ssh_imap_proxy respawning too fast,
stopped

Is what I am doing wrong obvious to anyone?

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241