Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Bob Hoffman

Default Request for CentOS stats

On 5/30/2012 3:35 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/30/2012 08:26 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Are there any summary CentOS numbers available?
> yes
>
>> The number of subscribers to this email list, and the number of server
>> installs?
> There are atleast 8 subscribers to this list, and I know of atleast 4
> servers that run CentOS.
>
> beyond that - feel free to pull a number out of thin air - its just
> about as likely to be accurate as the numbers above.
>
> - KB

lol

Old 05-30-2012, 09:00 PM
"Max Pyziur"

> On 5/30/2012 3:35 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 05/30/2012 08:26 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Are there any summary CentOS numbers available?
>> yes
>>
>>> The number of subscribers to this email list, and the number of server
>>> installs?
>> There are atleast 8 subscribers to this list, and I know of atleast 4
>> servers that run CentOS.
>>
>> beyond that - feel free to pull a number out of thin air - its just
>> about as likely to be accurate as the numbers above.
>>
>> - KB
>>
> lol

Yes, lol ...

I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
to get the headline number of subscribers.

So, johnny at centos.org, z00dax at centos.org, ralph at centos.org,
herrold at centos.org should be able to tell us. No?

MP
pyz@brama.com

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
John Horne

On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 17:00 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:

> Yes, lol ...
>
> I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
> to get the headline number of subscribers.

Why would you want to know such numbers?

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287 Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001

Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 PM

John Horne wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 17:00 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
>
>> Yes, lol ...
>>
>> I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
>> to get the headline number of subscribers.
>>
> Why would you want to know such numbers?

Because he doesn't like the answers we've uniformly given him for his
problem, and is looking for a way to tell himself we're only a small group
of snot-noses, rather than the opinionated, but
experienced-to-very-experienced collection of people that we are.

mark

Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM
John R Pierce

On 05/30/12 2:00 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
> to get the headline number of subscribers.
>
> So, johnny at centos.org, z00dax at centos.org, ralph at centos.org,
> herrold at centos.org should be able to tell us. No?

this would have very little relation to the number of installed servers.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/30/2012 10:00 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
> to get the headline number of subscribers.

There are many thousands of people on the list.. The point I was trying
to, badly, make is that there is no tangible manner to audit user
numbers or machine numbers or anything else in-between.

- KB
--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 05/30/12 2:00 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>> I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
>> to get the headline number of subscribers.
>>
>> So, johnny at centos.org, z00dax at centos.org, ralph at centos.org,
>> herrold at centos.org should be able to tell us. No?
>
> this would have very little relation to the number of installed servers.

Yup. For example, I've got between 100 and 150 servers and workstations
(and one at home) all running CentOS, here at a division at a US federal
government agency.

mark

ObDisclaimer: I speak only for myself, not for my employer, nor for the US
federal gov't.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 PM

On Wed, 30 May 2012 17:21:53 -0400
m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Because he doesn't like the answers we've uniformly given him for
> his problem, and is looking for a way to tell himself we're only a
> small group of snot-noses, rather than the opinionated, but
> experienced-to-very-experienced collection of people that we are.

I'm also strongly opinionated and I range from almost competent to
fairly competent. I'm in the process of upgrading a whole bunch of
Centos 4 to Centos 5!

So you can double your numbers on my behalf.

Please note that Mailman can't really help, many people send their
subscription to the trash directly. I know at least 3 admins with more
than a dozen server between them, trash the emails instead of
unsubscribing.

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 PM
"Max Pyziur"

> On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 17:00 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
>
>> Yes, lol ...
>>
>> I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
>> to get the headline number of subscribers.
>>
> Why would you want to know such numbers?

I'm curious about the density of users.

I manage enough email lists, one for distribution, the rest for
discussion, (as well as subscribe to a diverse number of other lists) to
have an idea that there is generally a small base of
discussants/participants to the total number subscribed (say 10% of the
subscriber is generally the upper bound of those who actively
participate).

MP
pyz@brama.com

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 30 May 2012 22:00, Max Pyziur <pyz@brama.com> wrote:
> Yes, lol ...
lol on.

> I know enough about mailman that it's a cinch for the list administrator
> to get the headline number of subscribers.
>
> So, *johnny at centos.org, z00dax at centos.org, ralph at centos.org,
> herrold at centos.org should be able to tell us. No?
I trust the administrators of the centos.org mailing lists not to give
out any information on my subscription(s) to anyone, even including a
count of it.

We run a couple of hundred or so CentOS VMs, increasing daily.
Probably more, I've lost the count ages ago and no one else is
counting. Why would anyone else care. It's not any of your business.

"What part of 'ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn'
don't you understand?"