-   -   KVM with 6.2 i686 guest (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/672403-kvm-6-2-i686-guest.html)

Jerry Geis 05-29-2012 08:36 PM

KVM with 6.2 i686 guest

I just installed a KVM guest, centos 6.2 i686 (6.2 x86_64 host) and the
network module is loaded .
The modules is/are 8139too,8139cp is what lsmod shows. Dmesg shows link
up but ifconfig does not give me an address?
service network restart shows OK no errors but again no address.

I set the ifcfg-eth0 file to not be NM controlled, onboot yes and
rebooted. Same no address.

I run 5.8 images all the time and they get the address?

Did I forget something?

Jerry

Earl Ramirez 05-30-2012 11:37 AM

KVM with 6.2 i686 guest

On 30 May 2012 05:36, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> I just installed a KVM guest, centos 6.2 i686 (6.2 x86_64 host) and the
> network module is loaded .
> The modules is/are 8139too,8139cp is what lsmod shows. Dmesg shows link
> up but ifconfig does not give me an address?
> service network restart shows OK no errors but again no address.
>
> I set the ifcfg-eth0 file to not be NM controlled, onboot yes and
> rebooted. Same no address.
>
> I run 5.8 images all the time and they get the address?
>
> Did I forget something?
>
> Jerry

Jerry,

I believe that by default the network is down and the "BOOTPROTO=dhcp" is
not in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx. I encountered a
similar issue on a KVM guest with minimal install

--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez

Jerry Geis 05-30-2012 12:14 PM

KVM with 6.2 i686 guest

> Jerry,
>
> I believe that by default the network is down and the "BOOTPROTO=dhcp" is
> not in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx. I encountered a
> similar issue on a KVM guest with minimal install

Earl

Was there something else missing also?
I not added the BOOTPROTO="DHCP" and same issue happening.
dmesg shows link up, service network restart shows OK and ifconfig
shows no address.

jerry

Earl Ramirez 05-31-2012 09:42 AM

KVM with 6.2 i686 guest

On 30 May 2012 21:14, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> > Jerry,
> >
> > I believe that by default the network is down and the "BOOTPROTO=dhcp" is
> > not in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx. I encountered a
> > similar issue on a KVM guest with minimal install
> >
> Earl
>
> Was there something else missing also?
> I not added the BOOTPROTO="DHCP" and same issue happening.
> dmesg shows link up, service network restart shows OK and ifconfig
> shows no address.
>

> jerry

Jerry,

That was all I did on my KVM VM and ran ifup eth0 so that it will get the
IP address.

You can also try a static IP, which looks like this

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=192.168.122.100 NETMASK=255.255.255.0NETWORK=192.168.122.1

My KVM host is using the default connection, which is NAT
**

--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez