Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Gene Poole

Default Just Stuck

OK, I did the deal and I am in the process of upgrading/migrating from
CentOS 5.8 x86_64 to CentOS 6.2 x86_64. But, I'm stuck with a gnome GUI
that only sees 1024x768. Under CentOS 5.8 it saw 1920x1080 (without much
work from me). The command I was used to , system-config-display, is gone
and I've read that xrandr is the replacement. I can't find a usage
document on this command. The basic description of the hardware involved
is:
nVidia GT 7300 video card
Viewsonic 24" monitor
I don't have the exact specs for this hardware, but I can post it later if
needed.

I've run the following command:
xrandr -q
And sometimes it returns a list of modes that range from 5 entries to 15
entries.

Any help will be appreciated!

TIA,
Gene Poole

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

> CentOS 5.8 x86_64 to CentOS 6.2 x86_64. But, I'm stuck with a gnome GUI
> that only sees 1024x768. Under CentOS 5.8 it saw 1920x1080 (without much
> work from me). The command I was used to , system-config-display, is gone
> and I've read that xrandr is the replacement. I can't find a usage
> document on this command. The basic description of the hardware involved
> is:
> nVidia GT 7300 video card
> Viewsonic 24" monitor
> I don't have the exact specs for this hardware, but I can post it later if
> needed.
>
> I've run the following command:
> xrandr -q
> And sometimes it returns a list of modes that range from 5 entries to 15
> entries.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
>
> TIA,
> Gene Poole

I use same displays on a workstation and just installed

kmod-nvidia-285.05.09-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64,

then used the Nvidia GUI at System>Administration>NVIDIA X Server
Settings.

CentOS release 6.2 (Final)

Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 PM

b.j. mcclure wrote:

>> CentOS 5.8 x86_64 to CentOS 6.2 x86_64. But, I'm stuck with a gnome GUI
>> that only sees 1024x768. Under CentOS 5.8 it saw 1920x1080 (without
>> much work from me). The command I was used to , system-config-display, is
>> gone and I've read that xrandr is the replacement. I can't find a usage
>> document on this command. The basic description of the hardware
>> involved
>> is:
>> nVidia GT 7300 video card
>> Viewsonic 24" monitor
>> I don't have the exact specs for this hardware, but I can post it later
>> if needed.
<snip>
> I use same displays on a workstation and just installed
>
> kmod-nvidia-285.05.09-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64,
>
> then used the Nvidia GUI at System>Administration>NVIDIA X Server
> Settings.

Oh, right. Bet he's been stuck with the nouveau <gag!> driver. You really
want to replace that, unless you've got a smaller monitor, and/or only use
one monitor. The NVidia control panel is much better.

mark "still annoyed with loosing system-config-display, or x86config"

Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 05/29/2012 01:41 PM, Gene Poole wrote:
> OK, I did the deal and I am in the process of upgrading/migrating from
> CentOS 5.8 x86_64 to CentOS 6.2 x86_64. But, I'm stuck with a gnome GUI
> that only sees 1024x768. Under CentOS 5.8 it saw 1920x1080 (without much
> work from me). The command I was used to , system-config-display, is gone
> and I've read that xrandr is the replacement. I can't find a usage
> document on this command. The basic description of the hardware involved
> is:
> nVidia GT 7300 video card
> Viewsonic 24" monitor
> I don't have the exact specs for this hardware, but I can post it later if
> needed.
>
> I've run the following command:
> xrandr -q
> And sometimes it returns a list of modes that range from 5 entries to 15
> entries.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!

You will want to add ELRepo to your machine and install the these two
packages from there:

yum install kmod-nvidia nvidia-x11-drv

Once you do that, you will have the nvidia control panel in "System =>
Administration" in the Gnome Menu