Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 AM
"Gustavo"

Default snmpd wont start on CentOS 4.4?

Hello All,

Ive searched the arqchives, but didnt find anything like this.. Maybe im
missing some trick here...

The problem:
I've instaled snmpd and snmp-utils packages with yum.
Im using and old simple .conf file, i've been using on my fedora 1 box,
but when I try to start snmpd, it just says OK, (Starting
snmpd..........[OK]), but the service dont work at all. I dont see any
process running with "ps".
Ive checked the logs, and found that it could be related to SE Linux and I
tryed to disable it, but it still doesnt work.
Im not using iptables localy, so, its not iptables related.
Already tryed uninstall <> install.

Any trick here?
Thanks a lot.

Gustavo.

BTW: Its currently working on my fedora1. This is the last thing I need to
fix to upgrade.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Johnny Hughes

Gustavo wrote:

[...]

How sure are you that selinux is disabled (my normal snmpd stuff also
does not work with selinux).

After adjusting /etc/sysconfig/selinux (set SELINUX=disabled) you would
need to reboot to make the change effect.

You can test with this command:

getenforce

If it says disabled or permissive, you should be OK.

If it says enforcing ... issue this command:

setenforce 0

Then look again with getenforce.

You still need to adjust /etc/sysconfig/selinux to make the changes last
for a reboot.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM
"Gustavo Gouvea"

Hi Jonny,

Yes, I did the reboot. "getenforce" shows "disabled".
The funny is that, issuing the start command it says "OK".

Even in the logs:
Apr 10 12:12:44 localhost snmpd: snmpd startup succeeded
Apr 10 12:12:44 localhost snmpd[6673]: NET-SNMP version 5.1.2

But still, there is no process running...

Any other tip?
Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Paul Heinlein

Yes, I did the reboot. "getenforce" shows "disabled".
The funny is that, issuing the start command it says "OK".

Even in the logs:
Apr 10 12:12:44 localhost snmpd: snmpd startup succeeded
Apr 10 12:12:44 localhost snmpd[6673]: NET-SNMP version 5.1.2

But still, there is no process running...

Have you tried launching snmpd in non-forking mode?

snmpd -f -Le

If that's not verbose enough, wrap it in strace and try again:

strace -o /tmp/snmpd.trace snmpd -f -Le

Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Max Hetrick

Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Gustavo Gouvea

Thanks Paul,

After using -f -Le, I got an error message, and googleing for it, I found that I got old net-snmp-libs.
Ive updated the pkg, and its working.

Thanks all.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Gustavo Gouvea