Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 AM
"William L. Maltby"

Default More info for -perm 2 ?

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 07:49 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there any more exhaustive explanation on this command?
> find / -type f -perm -2.
> Someone said that it means to find all files which have 'other' write access.
>
> From the man page it only says:
> -perm mode
> File’s permission bits are exactly mode (octal or symbolic). Symbolic modes
> use mode 0 as a point of departure.
>
> -perm -mode
> All of the permission bits mode are set for the file.
>
> -perm +mode
> Any of the permission bits mode are set for the file.
>
> Is there any table that explain all that mode?
> Thank you.

"Man chmod".

The pertinent part:

A numeric mode is from one to four octal digits (0-7), derived by
adding up the bits with values 4, 2, and 1. Any omitted digits are
assumed to be leading zeros. The first digit selects the set user
ID (4) and set group ID (2) and sticky (1) attributes. The second
digit selects permissions for the user who owns the file: read (4),
write (2), and execute (1); the third selects permissions for other
users in the file’s group, with the same values; and the fourth for
other users not in the file’s group, with the same values

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Thursday 10 April 2008 08:48:46 William L. Maltby wrote:
> > -perm -mode
> > All of the permission bits mode are set for the file.
> "Man chmod".
>
> The pertinent part:
>
> A numeric mode is from one to four octal digits (0-7), derived by
> adding up the bits with values 4, 2, and 1. Any omitted digits are
> assumed to be leading zeros. The first digit selects the set user
> ID (4) and set group ID (2) and sticky (1) attributes. The second
> digit selects permissions for the user who owns the file: read (4),
> write (2), and execute (1); the third selects permissions for other
> users in the file’s group, with the same values; and the fourth for
> other users not in the file’s group, with the same values

Hi William,
Thanks for the clue. It took me to several times of reading to get it
Sometimes I can see complex things fast, but fails to see very simple ones.

http://linux2.arinet.org
16:34:11 up 7:47, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 AM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@cbn.net.id> wrote:
> Thanks for the clue. It took me to several times of reading to get it
> Sometimes I can see complex things fast, but fails to see very simple ones.

You may also want to read up on:
http://kajero.com/books/unixsystems/html/chap-filesystem.html

Take care,
Daniel