Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Timothy Madden

Default How do downgrade mozilla ?

Hello

Sorry to say this to everyone, but since I installed CentOS 6 a month ago
I found that both Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird crash big time
(meaning every day and even more than once a day) with a large INBOX or
newsgroup, or with many tabs open in the Firefox windows. I also keep my
work computer running over night usually, maybe this is also a factor.

Knode does not do a better job than Thunderbird with the newsgroups,
either, it still crashes on large ones. Konqueror too consumes many
gigabytes and becomes unresponsive if I have many tabs open and keep it
running over night. I got pan newsreader though, and it is very nice with
a 126000-articles a newsgroup (like on CentOS.general !

And that reporting tool that pops up every time says it can not upload
the crash report (because it does not have some valid URL or something)...

Is there a nice way to downgrade Mozilla Firefox to say version 4 or 5
please ? And something similar for Thunderbird ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden

Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Tim Evans

On 05/28/2012 07:03 AM, Timothy Madden wrote:
> Hello
>
> Sorry to say this to everyone, but since I installed CentOS 6 a month ago
> I found that both Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird crash big time
> (meaning every day and even more than once a day) with a large INBOX or
> newsgroup, or with many tabs open in the Firefox windows. I also keep my
> work computer running over night usually, maybe this is also a factor.

This isn't the answer to your question, but you might consider
downloading the generic FireFox and Thunderbird from mozilla.org.
Beta versions 13 of both packages run w/o problem on my CentOS 6 system.
Just unpack the tar file into /usr/local and run from there.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117

Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/28/2012 12:03 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:
> Sorry to say this to everyone, but since I installed CentOS 6 a month ago
> I found that both Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird crash big time
> (meaning every day and even more than once a day) with a large INBOX or
> newsgroup, or with many tabs open in the Firefox windows. I also keep my
> work computer running over night usually, maybe this is also a factor.

My thunderbird mailbox's size clocks in at just over 38GB, and I dont
see this problem at all. My desktop has an uptime for just under 7
months ( yes, I know - older kernel is running, but the s/w updates are
run every week )

A better and more productive use of your time might be to try and
workout what is causing the issue - its almost certainly going to be an
external issue, and not tbird for ffox themselves.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 05-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Aft nix

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 05/28/2012 12:03 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:
>> Sorry to say this to everyone, but since I installed CentOS 6 a month ago
>> I found that both Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird crash big time
>> (meaning every day and even more than once a day) with a large INBOX or
>> newsgroup, or with many tabs open in the Firefox windows. I also keep my
>> work computer running over night usually, maybe this is also a factor.
>
> My thunderbird mailbox's size clocks in at just over 38GB, and I dont
> see this problem at all. My desktop has an uptime for just under 7
> months ( yes, I know - older kernel is running, but the s/w updates are
> run every week )

Hi karanbir

7 months uptime for a desktop? may be a little offtopic, but seriously
"dude" . my test servers are recently updated to centos-6 recently.
before they had like 8 months of uptime.

My desktop workstation has a uptime of under 24 hours though. Because
in my country, (guessing from your name in your country also, though
it seems you live abroad) we don't get power for straight 24 hours. so
without special backup power we are doomed if we want a "uptime" race.

> A better and more productive use of your time might be to try and
> workout what is causing the issue - its almost certainly going to be an
> external issue, and not tbird for ffox themselves.
>

> --
> Karanbir Singh
> +44-207-0999389*| http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
> ICQ: 2522219 * *| Yahoo IM: z00dax * * *| Gtalk: z00dax
> GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc

-aft

Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 05/28/2012 09:34 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 05/28/2012 12:03 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:
>> Sorry to say this to everyone, but since I installed CentOS 6 a month ago
>> I found that both Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird crash big time
>> (meaning every day and even more than once a day) with a large INBOX or
>> newsgroup, or with many tabs open in the Firefox windows. I also keep my
>> work computer running over night usually, maybe this is also a factor.
> My thunderbird mailbox's size clocks in at just over 38GB, and I dont
> see this problem at all. My desktop has an uptime for just under 7
> months ( yes, I know - older kernel is running, but the s/w updates are
> run every week )
>
> A better and more productive use of your time might be to try and
> workout what is causing the issue - its almost certainly going to be an
> external issue, and not tbird for ffox themselves.

I can confirm that I am using the CentOS version of Thunderbird on
CentOS-6.2 to read the CentOS mailing list and my CentOS folder (where I
put only centos mailing list e-mails) contains 126366 messages and it
works fine.

My overall mailbox size is 8.1G and I have no issues at all with
Thunderbird.

I reboot after every kernel or when I travel since my desktop is a Dell
M4500 Mobile Workstation (laptop), so no 6-7 months uptime on this thing