Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Earl Ramirez

Default support for Broadcom BCM4313

On 25 May 2012 08:39, Philippe Naudin <philippe.naudin@supagro.inra.fr>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The support for Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless is
> native in the kernel since 2.6.37 (module brcm80211, renamed brcmsmac
> since 2.6.39).
>
> But is it backported to some kernel available for CentOS ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Philippe Naudin

Philippe,

You can try ELRepo, I believe that they have the drivers for boderdom, they
also have kernel 3.3.x, please read their note about using kernel 3.3.x. I
have tried it and I did not have any issues with it.

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez

Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Phil Schaffner

Philippe Naudin wrote on 05/25/2012 08:39 AM:
> Hello,
>
> The support for Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless is
> native in the kernel since 2.6.37 (module brcm80211, renamed brcmsmac
> since 2.6.39).
>
> But is it backported to some kernel available for CentOS ?
>
> Thanks,

Check http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-compat-wireless to see if it supports
your hardware with the standard kernel.

Phil

Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Philippe Naudin

Le ven. 25 mai 2012 09:42:14 CEST, Phil Schaffner a écrit:

> Philippe Naudin wrote on 05/25/2012 08:39 AM:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The support for Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless is
> > native in the kernel since 2.6.37 (module brcm80211, renamed brcmsmac
> > since 2.6.39).
> >
> > But is it backported to some kernel available for CentOS ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Check http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-compat-wireless to see if it supports
> your hardware with the standard kernel.

Phil, Earl,

Thanks for pointing me to elrepo : yes, the kmod-compat-wireless page
lists brcmsmac.ko.

If someone else find this mail while wanting to use its bcm4313
adapter :
rpm -Uvh http://elrepo.org/elrepo-release-6-4.el6.elrepo.noarch.rpm
download the firmware from http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/
tar xzf linux-firmware-*.tar.gz
mv linux-firmware-*/brcm/ /lib/firmware/
restorecon -rv /lib/firmware
depmod -a : modprobe brcmsmac
... and it works.

Thanks again,

--
Philippe Naudin

Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Phil Schaffner

Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Philippe Naudin
<philippe.naudin@supagro.inra.fr> wrote:
> Le ven. 25 mai 2012 09:42:14 CEST, Phil Schaffner a écrit:

>> Check http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-compat-wireless to see if it supports
>> your hardware with the standard kernel.
>
> Phil, Earl,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to elrepo : yes, the kmod-compat-wireless page
> lists brcmsmac.ko.
>
> If someone else find this mail while wanting to use its bcm4313
> adapter :
> rpm -Uvh http://elrepo.org/elrepo-release-6-4.el6.elrepo.noarch.rpm
> download the firmware from http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/
> tar xzf linux-firmware-*.tar.gz
> mv linux-firmware-*/brcm/ /lib/firmware/
> restorecon -rv /lib/firmware
> depmod -a : modprobe brcmsmac
> ... and it works.

Philippe,

Thank you for the note. The kmod-compat-wireless wiki page has been
updated using your lines as an example for installation.

Akemi

Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Philippe Naudin

Le ven. 25 mai 2012 13:45:27 CEST, Akemi Yagi a écrit:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Philippe Naudin
> <philippe.naudin@supagro.inra.fr> wrote:
> > Le ven. 25 mai 2012 09:42:14 CEST, Phil Schaffner a écrit:
>
> >> Check http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-compat-wireless to see if it supports
> >> your hardware with the standard kernel.
> >
> > Phil, Earl,
> >
> > Thanks for pointing me to elrepo : yes, the kmod-compat-wireless page
> > lists brcmsmac.ko.
> >
> > If someone else find this mail while wanting to use its bcm4313
> > adapter :
> > rpm -Uvh http://elrepo.org/elrepo-release-6-4.el6.elrepo.noarch.rpm
> > download the firmware from http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/
> > tar xzf linux-firmware-*.tar.gz
> > mv linux-firmware-*/brcm/ /lib/firmware/
> > restorecon -rv /lib/firmware
> > depmod -a : modprobe brcmsmac
> > ... and it works.
>
> Philippe,
>
> Thank you for the note. The kmod-compat-wireless wiki page has been
> updated using your lines as an example for installation.

Oh. After re-reading my post, I found a couple of mistakes :
- the actual URL for the firmware is
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git;a=commit;h=e4379d14549cd9b29988cf3c5b 74b29d2051dd09
- and the ";" turned ":" in "depmod -a ; modprobe brcmsmac"

Sorry for the inconvenience, and a lot of thanks for your job !

--
Philippe Naudin

Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Philippe Naudin
<philippe.naudin@supagro.inra.fr> wrote:
> Le ven. 25 mai 2012 13:45:27 CEST, Akemi Yagi a écrit:

>> Thank you for the note. The kmod-compat-wireless wiki page has been
>> updated using your lines as an example for installation.
>
> Oh. After re-reading my post, I found a couple of mistakes :
> - the actual URL for the firmware is
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git;a=commit;h=e4379d14549cd9b29988cf3c5b 74b29d2051dd09
> - and the ";" turned ":" in "depmod -a ; modprobe brcmsmac"
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience, and a lot of thanks for your job !

I noticed both :-)

The URL I chose pulls down the whole thing. I will make a change to
your corrected link.

Thanks again,

Akemi