Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 PM

Default google.repo

This is annoying. I've got a user who needs chrome installed. I google,
and find there's a google.repo. I rpm --import the signing key... and
cannot find *where* on google.com I can install their own repo from. Every
hit that looks even vaguely close tells me "edit
/etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo.

I don't want to manually create one, I want *theirs*.

Clues for the poor?

mark

Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Steve Clark

> This is annoying. I've got a user who needs chrome installed. I google,
> and find there's a google.repo. I rpm --import the signing key... and
> cannot find *where* on google.com I can install their own repo from. Every
> hit that looks even vaguely close tells me "edit
> /etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo.
>
> I don't want to manually create one, I want *theirs*.
>
> Clues for the poor?
>
> mark

Don't remember where I found it but....
[root@sclark66 ~]# less /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo
[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Daniel De Marco

* m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> [05/24/2012 15:58]:
> This is annoying. I've got a user who needs chrome installed. I google,
> and find there's a google.repo. I rpm --import the signing key... and
> cannot find *where* on google.com I can install their own repo from. Every
> hit that looks even vaguely close tells me "edit
> /etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo.

you can download the google-chrome rpm from their website.
It installs a cron job that runs daily and creates and makes sure the
/etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo is correct.

Daniel.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Daniel De Marco wrote:
> * m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> [05/24/2012 15:58]:
>> This is annoying. I've got a user who needs chrome installed. I google,
>> and find there's a google.repo. I rpm --import the signing key... and
>> cannot find *where* on google.com I can install their own repo from.
>> Every
>> hit that looks even vaguely close tells me "edit
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo.
>
> you can download the google-chrome rpm from their website.
> It installs a cron job that runs daily and creates and makes sure the
> /etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo is correct.

Ewww... you mean I have to d/l the chrome rpm, yum localinstall it, and
*then* it creates google.repo? That's *ugly*, if true. And, of course,
there's no way to get support. I can't tell if I have to create a google
email account (which I don't want) to get into the support groups, and I
don't see any way to just send an email to any kind of support.

mark

Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
fred smith

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 04:21:04PM -0400, Daniel De Marco wrote:
> * m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> [05/24/2012 15:58]:
> > This is annoying. I've got a user who needs chrome installed. I google,
> > and find there's a google.repo. I rpm --import the signing key... and
> > cannot find *where* on google.com I can install their own repo from. Every
> > hit that looks even vaguely close tells me "edit
> > /etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo.
>
> you can download the google-chrome rpm from their website.
> It installs a cron job that runs daily and creates and makes sure the
> /etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo is correct.
>
> Daniel.

Where do you find a Chrome package that works on Centos? Google seems
to provide only Fedora, not Centos, binaries. All I can find for
Centos is Chromium.

Fred

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Jesus del Valle

> Where do you find a Chrome package that works on Centos? Google seems
> to provide only Fedora, not Centos, binaries. All I can find for
> Centos is Chromium.

Hi. I think to remember that I went to Google's website (with Firefox on a
CentOS 6.2 desktop) and I either searched for google chrome or Google
suggested it to me.
Regards,
Jesus

Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Phil Schaffner

fred smith wrote on 05/24/2012 07:27 PM:
> Where do you find a Chrome package that works on Centos? Google seems
> to provide only Fedora, not Centos, binaries. All I can find for
> Centos is Chromium.

# yum --disablerepo * --enablerepo google-chrome list available

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, refresh-packagekit

Available Packages

google-chrome-beta.i386 20.0.1132.17-138701 google-chrome

google-chrome-stable.i386 19.0.1084.52-138391 google-chrome

google-chrome-unstable.i386 21.0.1145.0-138079 google-chrome

# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo

[google-chrome]

name=google-chrome

baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386

enabled=1

gpgcheck=1

gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

# rpm -q google-chrome-beta centos-release

google-chrome-beta-17.0.963.46-119351.i386

centos-release-6-2.el6.centos.7.i686

Phil